Hello. Suspension area rust...

Hello all. I am new to the forum as you have noticed.

I am possibly getting a micra off a friend of mine this week as a project (bit of a change from a 2.5 v6 Omega!!). It is a 3 door k10 in white, there are a few rust patches and dings, mainly on removable bits like the wings, doors and boot lid. It has done 70000 miles and runs well.

The downside is that there is no MOT and I am dreading getting this done! The reason being is that I have found some corrosion here:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/diarmidvaughan/DSC00089.jpg
(Its by the rear suspension, where the light is shining below the fuel filler pipe)

What do you think? Is this repairable?

Has it gone through? If not, wire brush it, Kurust or another rust treatment then Hammerite.

I don't believe its gone through. I will have a go with with your suggestion, thanks.

Is there anywhere else I should be checking on the k10 before MOT?

easily fixed just cut it out and weld in fresh metal. everythings repairable ;)

give it the screw driver test first to see if the metals weak. if it is still solid just get it back to bare metal and treat it with some anti rust micture and then get it painted up ;) dont use hammerite it will only last a year or two use some proper stuff like a waxoil compund to really keep the rust at bay.

Ok. I'm picking up the K10 tonight. I have also booked the MOT for saturday. Any tips to make sure it gets through MOT ok? Are there any specific things I should look out for on the K10?

check the sillsfor rust etc also the rear fog light as its a common problem that they dont work...thats about it really

I patched up that rusty area today and checked the rest of the car for rot.

Guess what!! I found a badly corroded area on the osr outer sill. Looks like I am going to need some welding done as I can almost stick my hand in there! It seems this was caused by a previous welding job on the inner sill.

I've been quoted £150 for the repair, is that a reasonable price for welding in a 30cm long bit of metal plate?

omg thats a rip off bud, Franks prob rite £50 sounds alot more reasonable

Strange, they said it could take 4-6 hours. Only reason I wanted to use these guys is because they did a good job on the accident damaged almera GTI I used to have. I'll see if I can get it done cheaper elsewhere then :grinning:

Had the MOT this morning. It failed on 5 things:

-OS inner rear (wheel arch) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
-OS outer (sill) seatbelt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded
-NS inner rear (sill) seatbelt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded
-NS front wing has a sharp edge caused by corrosion
-NS rear brake binding

Not as bad as I thought it would be. Still on the look out for a more cost effective welder person

Back