Suspension setup issues...

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Just fitted my lowered suspension -35mm from Germany (TUV approved etc).

I am running 13" 175's and there is no rubbing and the performance is amazing, this is how Nissan should have done it!

I took it to my local garage to have it fitted, while there I got the shocks changed too. My question is this, the springs are progressive meaning that the coils become more dence at one end of the spring. I presume the way this would work is too fit the springs with the dense end near the top of the strut, this was possible for the front but not the rear, is this correct?

Also I have gas shocks on the rear and liquid Monroe shocks on the front, the front feels alot stiffer. I have observed other Micra's on the road and see that there is much movment in the rear at about 40+ mph, again is the normal, is the rear suspension more of a primative setup then the front?

Can anyone with lowered suspension or the knowledge please confirm...

Thanks

S

sketch

If you simply do the easy thing and see which way the writing is on them. you can see which way they go.

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Did that. The writing on the front springs is the correct way round, the rears could only be mounted the wrong way? I told this to the fitter and he got his boss out for advice who explained that this was correct. Is the incorrect?

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Problem found. One of my brand new rear gas shock is leaking, anyone got a new pair of K10 gas shockers, I wonder if there on sale at halfords like the shoes? If you have some let me know. Also anyone breaking a grey interior K10?

Mark

Ex. Club Member
if your shock is brand new why not return it????

if you didnt know every 1.2 has a anti roll bar on the back which helps with handling

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
i've heard of new leaking gas shocks before which is one of the reason i havent got them. the other reason being it actually softens the ride making cornering worse than Oil shocks

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Thanks for the advice. Mark can I easily fit a 1.2 rear anti-roll bar to my 1.0? Also if you going to break the Super let me know.

Mat.T

Ex. Club Member
The anti roll bar is easy enough to fit, how ever you will need the lower suspension links from ether a 1.2 or a prefacelift car. As these will have the mounting holes for the bar, facelift 1.0's got round links with out holes.

Mark

Ex. Club Member
look on the rear suspension beam, if you dont know where the holes are supposed to go then go to your local scrapper and find a 1.2 with the anti roll bar and compare it to your car

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Arnold you said: "i've heard of new leaking gas shocks before which is one of the reason i havent got them. the other reason being it actually softens the ride making cornering worse than Oil shocks"

Why do the gas shocks come with a lifetime warrenty, I have just had new rear oil shocks fitted and they feel much stiffer. How come?

I found this article:

What are the Advantages of Gas Shocks?

The shock piston is constantly thrashing up and down to follow the contour of the road as you drive. When this happens, the oil in the shock can be whipped up into a foamy mess like a batch of scrambled eggs. When shock oil gets aerated, it will flow past the valving in the shock in unpredictable ways that can ruin the performance of even the best dampers.
High-pressure gas shocks are not as susceptible to oil foaming because they use gas pressure (anywhere from 100 to 300 psi of nitrogen) inside the shock body to keep bubbles from forming in the shock oil. The nitrogen gas does not mix with the shock oil, but rather it acts to keep the shock oil molecules packed together, making it harder for air bubbles to form in the first place. Gas shocks have gotten a bad rap as being firmer then regular shocks, but they can be valved to ride just as smoothly as a conventional shock, while still providing consistent dampening that is impossible to match with a regular shock.

Taken from:
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/67238/index9.html