Hello Micralites

I'm only a temporary Micra owner....

See I've bought a Micra to drive to Ulaanbaator in Mongolia as part of the Mongol Rally.

Pretty scary stuff really, and I've basically signed up to this forum to take advantage of the network of Micra drivers that exists here to see if I can get hold of a few spare parts for the journey.

Terribly bad form I know, but needs must and all that.

I'll post in the buy/sell forum in a moment to see if anyone can help me with my spare wheel conundrum.

Welcome along Chen!

I think most people will be happy to help, maybe you should read Pollypmobile build blog... He has done so much to the car you could maybe learn a few things before you set off rallying!

This Mongol rally has come up before... What does it involve? What are the requirements to enter?

Oh one last thing... Maybe during the rally you could give us updates ;)

Pepper

Cheers K11SS

You need a car with a 1.2litre engine or smaller that's less than ten years old.

Basically you have a start date (23rd of July - so less than 2 weeks away!) at Goodwood, at an event called the 'Festival of Slow', and a finish line in Ulaanbaator. That's about it, the rest is up to you.

I think entry will be open for doing it next year fairly soon, so people who want to get involved should think about signing up.

Our team will probably go down as the least organised in Mongol Rally history - hence our name - Team Herding Cats.

We have a blog:
http://teamherdingcats.blogspot.com/

We hope to update it irregularly on our travels, and perhaps you guys could do some long-distance mech-support if we can find an internet cafe in the Gobi Desert :laugh:

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome, I'm sure I'll be on occasionally in the next two weeks with annoying questions and desperate pleas - just hit me on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper if I get too much.

It's about 10,000 miles, depending on route. Neither of us has any mechanical ability at all, which is going to be hilarious. On the plus side my teammate has been driving his Micra for 13 years (he got it at 17 and has never had a problem with it, he's now 30), so he should be pretty damn familiar with Micras by now.

I shall look up Noddie, I reckon having a bit of a convoy for protection might be a good strategy.

Back