Heavy rattle/constant Knocking noise coming from front end.

2002 1.4 micra. makes heavy rattle / knocking noise on anything but ultra smooth road.

Doesn't sound like its coming from the engine.

Originally thought anti-roll bar bushes but upon checking, the car itself isnt actually fitted with a front roll bar.

Seems to be some sort of worn bushes, are there any dodgy bushes which this car usually suffers from?

Any ideas as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.

2002 1.4 micra. makes heavy rattle / knocking noise on anything but ultra smooth road.

Doesn't sound like its coming from the engine.

Originally thought anti-roll bar bushes but upon checking, the car itself isnt actually fitted with a front roll bar.

Seems to be some sort of worn bushes, are there any dodgy bushes which this car usually suffers from?

Any ideas as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.

splash guard over the downpipe? I had a rattle which i cudnt find for ages until i checked that.

splash guard over the downpipe? I had a rattle which i cudnt find for ages until i checked that.

I had this and also my track rod (Tie rod.) ends.
Wobble your steering wheel from left to right quickly but lightly when stationary if you have a rattle that may be your issue.
Also try to wobble the front wheels themselves left and right while on the car, if there is any play then its possibly your track rods.

My CV joint never rattled when it died unless you took weight off it...

Had 2 go on the P11, 1 on the K11. Both made rattle/knocking noises. Worst when turning, offcourse, but when sufficiently knackered, can also make noise going in a straight line. Personal experience.

dbroomhead - Is the noise worse when turning ? Do you get some horrible crunching/klonk noise ?

If it doesn't do it on smooth roads then i would say it's a suspension/steering joint or bush, to say which one is a pure guess without looking, now if you have an ATS or Kwikfit place you can trust near you they will take a look and let you know what parts are needed for free, whether you get them to repair is up to you.

does it give feedback through the steering wheel when it bangs? - mine does this but only on bumpy surfaces, and one of the lads at work had a look when the car was on the ramp the other day changing my wheels, and he seems to think the front shocks are crackered :eek:

Back