HEAD UNIT WIRING PROBLEMS

A

alexbaker

I GOT MY SELF A CD HEAD UNIT AND RIPPED THE CRAPPY TAPE PLAYER OUT OF MY K10 AND I AINT GOT A CLUE HOW TO WIRE THE CD PLAYER IN CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE I HAVE ALL MY AUDIO EQUIPMENT READY TO BE INSTALLED IN A CUSTOM BUILD ANDI CANT START UNTIL MY HEADUNIT IS WORKING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME ATALL I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT, IF U CAN COULD ANYONE PLEASE MAIL ME TO MY HOTMAIL ADDRESS WITH A WIRING DIAGRAM THANKS, ALEX

Don't worry too much about the diagram, get a multimeter, find a decent earth and grab those wires that were attached to the old stereo. One should be earth (possibly black or yellow/green) and will give continuity between itself and your earth (piece of metal body/screw/bolt etc). One should give +12v between itself and earth all the time, and one should give you +12v only when you switch the ignition on. Your new stereo should have a diagram or instructions which will tell you where to connect these wires to. I had bare ends on the loom side and the stereo side and just used chocolate blocks to connect them all up. I'm assuming you know which wires are your speakers :)

Hope that helps/makes sense...

i think the ISO blocks only worked on a certain year of K10 and onwards, either 87 or 90 (facelift).. i might be wrong

K10s do not as a rule have a constant 12v supply. Its quite common that you have to put one in. Also dont get the earth muddled up with the sidelight wire this is also common and will cause problems such as burnt fuses blown headunits and burnt wires!!!!

if i disconnect the illumination wire i lose all power and its really bugging me

I've got a permanent +12v on mine (1986) but probably thanks to the previous owner who had some funny ideas and cowboy tendancies! :) Does the sidelight wire run behind the dash? Think I've put my own earth in each time but can't remember.

I'm fairly sure my constant +12v comes off the ignition switch if you need ideas for one...

mine is a 1989 f reg gsx, im really annoyed because i cant wait to hear the bass that my stereo kicks out but with this petty problem it could be weeks before i do so if anyone with a 1989 k10 gsx has had similar problems with head unit wiring please help me i am really greatful thanks

i hard wired my HU and didn't use the micra wiring.

all you have to do is run the memory wire to the + on the battery with a fuse.
then run the +12v to the ciggarette plug centre so that the HU comes on when you switch the car on.
then run the ground to something metal.

you will be left with audio cables but if you're using phonos that they don't matter.

good luck :)

Back