head gasket fail?

hey there, as some of you might know i bought guy's old 160sr for daily.
i drove it other day and the temperature light came on. i pulled over as soon as i could.
I check the water level and filled it up. about 2 liters.
Since then the car wouldnt start and loads of steam is coming from the engine.

Is my head gasket gone and i got water into the pistons?

thanks.

It's quite obvious from the oil
null-5.jpg

Anyone know how to go from here?
null-4.jpg

I don't know what to do from here. Brak the chain or do I need to slip it from somewhere?
Please help

Not seen it done in the car but when we do chains on the k12 we find it easiest to remove the engine to be able to get in,but you dont split the chain just try and remove it somehow

its not gonna be straight forward george, those vtec mechanisms need to be pressurised to lock them into position iirc, and are easily broken i believe.
you will need to remove the sprockets and cams to get to the headbolts mate

Aaargh, my baby :(. It'd been drinking a pint of coolant a week for a couple of years so I always suspected something was on the way out. Iirc, the air presure needed to reset the VVT on the inlet cam is around 15 PSI so something could be rigged up with a spare tyre to help with that.

Good luck with her George :).

It's my fault guy. I changed the water pump and it was leaking from there which I didnt relise. I didn't check the water for about 5 days and it overheated and went on the motorway. Ill get it sorted :D

Ratchet with correct socket, give it sharp hits, has always worked for me. If not jig up a long bar against the ground with socket attached and give the engine a little crank

if the gearbox is still connected: lock the crank/flywheel by selecting 4th and apply the brakes (with helper or jam a rod between pedal & seat) then undo the pulley bolt with breaker bar. Or i once read frank suggested wedging the pulley bolt breaker bar against the chassis and then use the starter to undo the bolt

if the box is detached: lock the fly by wedging a piece of metal between an edge feature of the fly (like the starter ring) and the engine block

Thanks for the tips guys. I did lock it by putting in 5th and applying brakes then using long bar and even a fully charged impact wrench and still nothing :(
Probably some silly thread lock :O
I will try to heat it up maybe.

turning it anti-clockwise yea? :p
use a 6 sided socket, long breaker bar and try harder :) not too hard that it shifts the car off its axle stands lol

I guess I need to try harder. I am scared the chain will skip a teeth then the timing will be off and I won't be ably to put it back together.

I jumped the belt on my old lexus when hanging from a 1.5m breaker bar, id say jamming and cranking the engine quickly would be better

WD40, blow torch and rattle gun finally undid the crank bolt. I was struggling with the cam pulley bolt but then again torch and rattle gun did the trick.

null-6.jpg

Gasket is from metal so no obvious fails, but there was water in two of the pistons, so cleaning time tomorrow.

nice one george :) exh primaries 2 and 3 looks steamcleaned lol, could you not leave the chain and cover in situ ?

nice one george :) exh primaries 2 and 3 looks steamcleaned lol, could you not leave the chain and cover in situ ?

I probably could have, i never really done this before so i just took the lot apart. lol

Now i just need to find some manual how to time it and reset the vvt :O

probably head distortion eh george, with those pressed steel headgaskets there,s nothing to actually "blow away" when they blow, so any leakage will be due to an uneven face eh

Thank you very much guys. I am pretty sure it is the same engine, but just want to confirm. I think the only different hr16de is the one used in the qashqai that had the VVT on the exhaust cam as well as two injectors for each cylinder. think that was was rated at 118bhp

nissan4u is showing the same cylinder head from mid 05 to date george (and thats where any design changes tend to be) and i spy a knock sensor on your block :cool: fire a tubby onto it while you,re at it :)

nissan4u is showing the same cylinder head from mid 05 to date george (and thats where any design changes tend to be) and i spy a knock sensor on your block :cool: fire a tubby onto it while you,re at it :)
cool, i found an engine from note for good price. If this was a project i would but its daily drive. I got the FC to play with :D

Back