Head Bolts

CMF_holio

» CMF Member
On a lot of modern engines, the head is held down by 'streach bolts' these must be changed for new ones if the head is ever romoved.

Is this the case with the cg13de engine? im looking to fit my 2mm head gasket on wedensday, and need to know, so i can order them in if i need them.

Iv never needed to take the head of my micra before, so just want to play it safe, as i will be running 0.9bar of boost and dont want to wreck it.

Cheers.

CMF_Trev

» CMF Member
LOL, yeah you should have told me that before I rebuilt my datto L series for the tenth time! Yes it is preferable to get new ones but, it is OK to reuse head bolts. The most import thing is to have clean threads in the block and on the bolt and use some lubricant (on thread and under the head of the bolt) and a torque wrench to do them up. Go slow doing them up in the correct sequence at the torque intervals. You will know if they are no good as they will go plastic (loose tension as you do them up). If you go slow you will feel this. If this happens undo them in correct order and start again with a new bolt.

Cheers
Trev

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
G'day Trev.Well I never risk using them again but as you said if you go about it slow and easy you should be okay.
Its a real art.If you read the Haynes manual its a matter of tightening, letting off and retightening the 10 main bolts and last of all the other 5 bolts.
Its a job not to be rushed.

Back