Hand brake adjustment help needed...

pietro

Ex. Club Member
How do I adjust the hand brake please. At the moment it goes really high (still bites though). Any help/ advice on how to appreciated :)

its located under the car mate think its a 10mm bolt - about halfway where the cable splits between left and right

Yeah its probably just the adjusters on the drums that need tightening. They are supposed to auto adjust it but never work lol. Jack the car up and take the rear wheels off, and you'll see a little wheel, tighten that and it should sort your problem. :)

Don't do it with the cable adjuster, this doesn't help the situation.

All you do is jack up the car, leave the wheels on, and there is a hole (sometimes covered by a rubber plug) in the back of the drum. Stick in a flat screwdriver and click the ratchet wheel round. It's much easier to do if someones has their foot on the hydraulic brake whilst you are doing it.

I'd get a Haynes manual - most of these questions you are asking are fully answered in there.

Absoutely do _NOT_ ajust the cable under the car, this is only if the cable streaches, this will NOT help you if the auto ajusters are not functioning correctly. The way I do it is to remove the rear wheel, and the drum, then remove the drum inspect everything (you should really do this anyway) and then adjust the rachet wheel, if it does not click it needs servicing, if you cannot see how this is done take it to someone who does, as when these fail the whole balance of the breaking system fails.

but what if the cable has stretched?, mine was when i fitted brand new shoes and still the handbrake was pap when i fully twisted out the adjusters, its more than likely the cable has streched in 15+ years dont you think?

Yes I do agree, but he needs to to check the auto adjusteres first, then make the assesment on weather the cable needs to be tightened or not.

Back