Gettin the most out of a K&N..

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
i have just fitted a k&n induction kit, just wondering if there was anything extra that can be done to it to get the most out of it?

my mate has got one on his saxo and his seems alot louder than mine, think his is a 1.1 or 1.2 aswel so i wouldnt have though that there would have been that much difference between the sound the two make?!

thanks in advance

well its a different car, and its 8valve. You can put on a larger bore cold air tube to it. Thats about it.

I took mine off last week, i was getting sick of the noise. The cold air feed is main thing you can do to it, or you can re-locate it but don't know how diffrents there will be....

re-locating is the best you can do, just whacking a cone ontop of your throttle body is gonna make it run slower than the airbox, with all the hot air coming past the engine

do what 59bhp did to get good cold air into the car. Maybe another bend down to the battery area.

but i reconmend standard nissan air box and upgraded panel filter and upgrade the air feed pipe for some larger bore piping. This is a better idea that the above and works well on our k11's

i just took the blocker plate of the front of the engine bay and fitted a Blitz mushroom filter straight onto the throttle body. and its almost unbarably loud. it shakes the whole car with wonderfull, touring car sounding noise...

(doesnt help that i hit an animal with my exhaust silencer and split it open) but the noise, ooooh the noise, its beautifull...:wasntme:
i am going to get some stainless or ally pipe work and pipe it down towards the new opening i have made,.....

its all gravy.

like i said nissan worked R&D on making a nice plastic airbox to give the k11 ambient air temp. With a less restrictive panel filter and bigger induction piping the standard nissan box makes very good power gains with the following mods.

you will still get a nice deep rumble :grinning:

that may be, but it wont look half as good...lol (and plus most of us are doing 30mph or less most of the time anyway (and so we should :wasntme: :wasntme: ) so the performance differences are un noticeable unless you dyno your car everyday.

bit of elbow grease, you could spray the nissan box, let you imagination go wild!!! loads of tones to choose from. Even spray it metal effecT!

if you are not creative and cant be arsed then stick some super turbo halford fast and furious stickers on it if all else fails.

hey hey..... we dont sell the fast n furious stickers anymore.... lol

they went obsolete ages ago...

(but yeah you could...)

Type-R said:
but i reconmend standard nissan air box and upgraded panel filter and upgrade the air feed pipe for some larger bore piping. This is a better idea that the above and works well on our k11's

Thats what im doing

antony_aiken said:
that may be, but it wont look half as good...lol (and plus most of us are doing 30mph or less most of the time anyway (and so we should :wasntme: :wasntme: ) so the performance differences are un noticeable unless you dyno your car everyday.

I noticed the difference between a cone filter on the TB and the airbox, it's fairly noticeable on the CG10 to be honest.

performance ford recently did a RR test with 4 types of induction kits. cannot remember them all but basically did a rolling road at the end of each.

Suprisingly two of the top brands were worst than stock ford stuff!! The other raised BHP but decreased torque. Then they got a stock ford box and drilled 10mm holes and used stock ford filter. That was the best increase in bhp and torque!!!!

With proper powerfull cars like 300bhp upwards then induction pipes and filters make alot of difference on k11's its just makes noise and you are probably loosing power as well.

Thats why i reconmend the stock box with a panel filter these cars are not high performance so they dnt really benefit from this type of induction. Unless someone wants to prove me wrong?

Type-R said:
performance ford recently did a RR test with 4 types of induction kits. cannot remember them all but basically did a rolling road at the end of each.

Suprisingly two of the top brands were worst than stock ford stuff!! The other raised BHP but decreased torque. Then they got a stock ford box and drilled 10mm holes and used stock ford filter. That was the best increase in bhp and torque!!!!

With proper powerfull cars like 300bhp upwards then induction pipes and filters make alot of difference on k11's its just makes noise and you are probably loosing power as well.

Thats why i reconmend the stock box with a panel filter these cars are not high performance so they dnt really benefit from this type of induction. Unless someone wants to prove me wrong?

agreed.

rlees85 said:
opinions on sawing off the tip of the resonator pipe? heard it improves performance and also heard the opposide lol

obviously the resonators supposed to slow airflow and restrict noise. if you cut the tip off it does act as another intake point. cant be bad ;)

ok i cut the tip of my resonator pipe and everyone is going to point at me and shout B*LL***T but its made a noticeable improvement to the cars performance.

Obviously it had air starvation before (i am running on 1.3 cams... but i thought the air setup for the 1.0 and 1.3 where the same.. weird!)

The induction roar is nice too :D

cheers, i didnt really think that bit did much after i took the main box off, guess it must do though, might give that a whirl tomorrow..

i am running 1.3 cams on mine tho, which could be as to why i noticed a bigger gain on mine (as its more hungry for air then other 1.0s).

I dont see how it could make things any worse tho....

cut the bottom off the box on the side BEFORE the filtered air, and run ducting to that area. Works often, but the books I've read about air intakes have been focussed on performance engines =/

tse_adam said:
which brand panel filter is best for K12? is it easy to install myself?
Probably K&N, although Nismo_k12 has got a NISMO one, so ask him what he thinks. Probably pricey though.

Back