gearbox

CMF_Dean1

» CMF Member
My 1997 micra (K11) gearbox is making a horrible whining noise. A Mechanis told me he would source and fit a 2nd hand box and new clutch for $1000 and he reckons nothing can be done other than fitting the new box. Does this sound right?

CMF_Dean1

» CMF Member
I actually just spoke with the wreckers and they said the engine of the car that the box is coming from has done 139000klms (so sounds reasonable) and then spoke to their mechanics and he said 350 for labour and 150 for new clutch. so $800 all up. That sounds more reasonable. any input before I get it done would be appreciated

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
I just did a new bow on mine a second hand gear box was 350 delivered to NT and we put it in ourselves. Took around a day but was pretty easy. If you know your way around A car you will be able to do it yourself. I am not to sure how much a clutch is but around a $1000 is not bad all up and i would pay it to get the warrenty side of things covered

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
$1000 is FAR too much for a gearbox with 140,000km on it.

DO NOT PAY THIS.

Keep calling around and find someone who does reconditioned gearboxes. All that yours probably needs is some new bearings. A rebuilt gearbox will be better money spent than a second hand gearbox.

Cheers

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
I did a Micra box last week. Cost me trade about $150 for the bearings.
Sycro's sleeves and hubs would change things dramaticly however, but a basic reco' with bearings and seals i could get done still around $800 parts and labour.
Labour is the killer with reco, due to press time and stripping - reassembling the internals.

Speak soon Dean1

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
When i was thinking of putting in my gearbox i rang the mechanic to see if it was worth it just to pay him to do it and he said 250 so i was happy to pay that. I don't have alot of time so when its not to dear i'd rather just pay,As for the gearbox itself i would not expect to pay more than acouple of hundred for a good low kay one.

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
If you can get good low klm gearbox for a couple of hundred ill have 2 and pay you $50 for spotters. I can pick up next week as Im delivering a Camry to a buyer in Brisbane.

Back