Gearbox swap

Sparcoxs

Buy & Sell Member
Hi,

I've just changed the gearbox on my rally car the other day from a 1.3 box to a 1.0 box and put the 1.0 starter on but for some reason it sounds as though the starter isn't engaging the flywheel? I've had the starter on the bench and it works fine and doesn't stick.

Do I need to change the flyweel and the metal plate between the gearbox and engine?

Help and advice will be much appreciated

Thanks,
Rob

there,s more of a "dish" in the 1.3/post 98 1.0 flywheel rob, and my sandwich plate was binned long ago :wasntme:
what 1.0 g/box is it ? (pre or post 98 ?)

Thanks for the reply Frank. The 1.0 litre gearbox is out of an S reg Micra and the rally car is a K reg so should it be ok?

Do I need to change the gear linkages as well because I've sat in the car and all the gears appear to be there. Obviously need to have it moving first to drive it...lol

an s reg 1.0 g/box should be a straight swap in a k reg 1.3 eh fwn (just a different diff ratio)
its only the pre98 1.0,s that had a different g/box type and different shafts, rods, mounts, f/w, clutch etc

Well that's what I thought and why I never bothered changing the flywheel or anything else for that matter but was gutted when it didn't start and just thought the starter was sticking but it clearly isn't.

The starter motor was bolted on in the inside of the engine underneath the intake manifold and the 1.0 starter is bolted on the opposite side near the clutch cable bracket? Is that right ye?

Thanks,
Rob

its only the auto,s (cvt) and some of the cga ones that have the starter under the mani i believe rob (and they have the starter ring on the other side of the f/w)

Ah rite.Could this be the problem then as to why it's not working? I know the engines have the stamp on the front of the block by the gearbox so would it say CGA 13 instead CG13 or no?CGA is the 1348cc isn't it?

Should the gearbox still fit and work then or is it a case of putting the old gearbox back in?

Thanks,
Rob

does,nt the 1.0 box have a starter aperture on either side rob ? (with a blanking plate)
and here,s a cga f/w with the starter ring on the other side
and cga3 is the 1348
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0147.JPG
    PICT0147.JPG
    855.4 KB · Views: 374
Not sure what you mean about a starter aperature either side. Do you mean the starter motor could bolt on either side or no?

100% sure it's not a CGA engine because I have had the engine out before and the flywheel only had one starter ring although it does look way too big and heavy. But the sandwich plate on the engine that was left on has a hole in it and I can feel the tip of the starter motor and it seems to line up fine.

Think I'm going to have to have a look at this tomorrow night after work and try it again :glare:

yeh, a tin cover that you can take off and bolt the starter either side rob, and you can see in the pic that the cga f/w on the left has the starter ring about 30mm away from the clutch face (arrowed), whereas the lightened f/w on the right has the starter ring level with the clutch face (so the starter wont engage with the one on the right if bolted under the mani)

attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0038.JPG
    PICT0038.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 212
and here,s the 2 types of starter :eek:
(auto, under mani one on the left)
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0334.JPG
    PICT0334.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 379
Hi Frank,

Thanks for all the help and the pictures and everything. Been a great help. Thanks very much.

Turns out for some reason I have the flywheel with the twin starter ring and the small starter motor that bolts on under the mani so that's why the 1.0 starter won't engage. So basically, all I've got to do now is take the box back out again, take the clutch and flywheel off the 1.0 engine and bolt them on my 1300 engine in the rally car,fit the 1.0 gearbox and 1.0 manual starter motor and we should be away to go. Is that right?

Cheers,
Rob

the other toothed ring is for the crank sensor rob (coilpack type)
and there are many types of f/w :eek: 160mm clutch pre98 1.0, 180mm clutch post98 1.0 (6.5kg iirc), 1.3 180mm clutch 1.3 (8kg iirc)
then the 2 types of coilpack ones and a couple of types of auto ones

Omg...Ha ha.....But if I take the flywheel and clutch off the S reg 1.0 litre engine I have sitting it shold fit and work? Would I need to change the coilpack at all?

Can see me just sticking the old gerabox back in before long...Ha.Although....that 1.0 litre gearbox makes a hefty difference.Shocked how much of a difference it's made tbh.

i dont understand why you have a "blockside" fitted starter rob fwn, i,ve only seen those on an auto or cga or ga
the post 98 1.0 and any 1.3 g/box should be a straight swap (just different diff ratio,s (3.9 or 4.45 iirc)
i think you just need a "g/boxside" type starter

I don't understand it either....It's really wierd but it used to work.

However, I pulled the gearbox out again 2day and put the 1.0litre flywheel and clutch on the car and she's grand.Started first time as well so beauty.Job done!! :grinning:

Wierd though as you say about the block side starter motor but the automatic flywheel with 2 starter rings is out of a 1.0 as it had CG10 on it.So....im mega confused.

Cheers,
Rob

yes, the post 2000 (coilpack) 1.0,s still have the same cg10 stamped on the block rob (its only the 1348,s that are cga)

You don't know how happy I was when it was working. Only problem is I now have to take the bloody gearbox out again now. Picked the best clutch out of the 2 that I had and the little #### is slipping :( So gearbox out again!!! ARGH!!! Lucky I've got a paddle clutch and pressure plate sitting on another engine but just means more work :(

Back