Gearbox or clutch ???

Hi folks, i have one friend with micra , k11, 2001. friend is learner driver, and now is complaining - hard shift in to gears. He is asking me look in to this, .... i haven get my hands on it yet, but i want in advance get some info, before diagnose the problem, and possible repair.

So , as i said, learners car, hard shift in to gears. where could be a problem ? Clutch or gearbox ?

usually clutch problem related to slipping disc, when it is worn, does clutch could cause hard shift ?

Or it is gearbox problem... synchros gone ?

Thanks

yea, frank, did read some, maybe have to read more, as i couldnt find similar problem ... just as gear linkage stuck or engine rear bush went loose. ... when ill get my hands on that car, will do some driving test, to find out what exact problem is ?

Could be pressure plate worn / broken?

could you explain "bite point " what means ? sorry, English not my native language.

with engine running, push the clutch down and try select 3rd/4th. if it resists or crunches, the clutch cable is too loose and the bite point is too low that the clutch fails to fully disengage. tighten the clutch cable end nut till the bite point is bout 1/2 way.

while in gear and stationary, slowly lift the pedal to find the clutch bite point when the revs start to dip. if its very low near the floor it may not fully disengage the clutch as mentioned above. if its very high near the resting point, the clutch may not fully engage and slip under load and wear out the release bearing rapidly. the cable should be adjusted till the bite points bout 1/2 way up the pedals travel.

if the clutch cable adjustment nut is near the far end of the threaded cable and starts to slip or make a noise during use, the clutch plate could be worn out.

if ur able to select 3rd/4th but very difficult to select 1st/2nd or it rattles on the motorway in 5th, the gear selector linkage bushes are prob worn loose and need replacing.

if the gearsticks generally very stiff, the selector bushes are corroded/seized and needs overhauling.

with engine running, push the clutch down and try select 3rd/4th. if it resists or crunches, the clutch cable is too loose and the bite point is too low that the clutch fails to fully disengage. tighten the clutch cable end nut till the bite point is bout 1/2 way.

while in gear and stationary, slowly lift the pedal to find the clutch bite point when the revs start to dip. if its very low near the floor it may not fully disengage the clutch as mentioned above. if its very high near the resting point, the clutch may not fully engage and slip under load and wear out the release bearing rapidly. the cable should be adjusted till the bite points bout 1/2 way up the pedals travel.

if the clutch cable adjustment nut is near the far end of the threaded cable and starts to slip or make a noise during use, the clutch plate could be worn out.

if ur able to select 3rd/4th but very difficult to select 1st/2nd or it rattles on the motorway in 5th, the gear selector linkage bushes are prob worn loose and need replacing.

if the gearsticks generally very stiff, the selector bushes are corroded/seized and needs overhauling.

Thanks . Will follow your advice.

Back