Gearbox oil via speed sensor

Hi Guys,

Just a tip for those of you with a newer style gearbox with a speed sensor instead of a speedo cable ('98 on?). If the nut in the refill hole at the front of the box is impossible to shift, you can refill via the speed sensor hole at the back of the gearbox. You need to remove the airbox to get access, then remove a 10mm bolt holding the sensor, twist anticlockwise and pull out. It's actually easier than using the proper hole.

Sorry if this repeats older threads, most of the ones I read were relating to the older box so i thought I'd stick this in for general info.

Spike

Or.... undo the level bung and fill there.... how do you know if the level is correct if filling through speedo sensor.

In my experience I have never had a seized level bung, also speed sensors are easy to break.

Furry muff... level bung is soooo simple tho.

If it wont budge...... go to the fridge get a can of man up and try again

I couldn't get the lid off my can of man up so I had to think of something else, hence the speed sensor option. No I didn't break the speed sensor probably beacause the man up was still in the can. Oil level, well the box takes 3 litres, 2.5 litres came out when I drained it so ....

The correct way to check oil level is through speedo/sensor hole anyway so might as well do that. As there is a concern of overfilling via fill hole causing difficulty to engage gear

Back