Gearbox Oil Changing - Which Allan Key?

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Hi im going to do my gearbox oil today but i dont seem to have any allan keys that fit, so im going to go for a trip to somewhere to get some. Just wondered if anyone knew which size they were for the drain and filler plugs?

thanks

for some reason on ciscos site the guide says a socket will fit straight in, but mine definatly needs an allan key not a sqaure-shaped drive, which is weird maybe?

------

ok i used abit of iniative and found out myself, for those who need to know its:

drain: 14mm hex bit
filler: 10mm hex bit

both may need to be tapped in with a hammer VERY GENTLY

i think its a 1/4 or 1/2 inch socket lol

edit: read you edited bit... dunno why yours is different ;s

nizzanz1 said:
could be the 2000+ boxes are different.
normally its square.

more than likely the cause.

would just like to add, anybody who thinks this is hard, its not, its easy! even i found it easy and im useless ;)

nizzanz1 said:
hard bit is getting the oil into the thing.

Lol! When mine was done, a long tube was used extending outside the engine bay, so it could be poured in from height, and making it much easier to do :)

nizzanz1 said:
hard bit is getting the oil into the thing.

Not wit hthe later boxes as they have a fill hole on the top so that you don't have to muck about with the speedo cable etc.

my fill hole was near the bottom, and it would have been next to impossible to do it without some hosing fed thru the engine bay. im just glad its done now, it really is awful stuff, smells just like bum wee.

Craig said:
Not wit hthe later boxes as they have a fill hole on the top so that you don't have to muck about with the speedo cable etc.

you dont have to use the speedo cable hole though,the filler hole is on the front

yes when you refill on the earlier K11 you pour through the speedo cable, my speedo cable was seized when my clutch was changed and had to be pumped in from the drain and then quickly put the drain plug back in

hughes_16v said:
yes when you refill on the earlier K11 you pour through the speedo cable, my speedo cable was seized when my clutch was changed and had to be pumped in from the drain and then quickly put the drain plug back in

i thought there was a filler hole at the front of the box on the early ones....must be the ga16 im thinking of

hughes_16v said:

tried to pour it through my speedo cable hole becuase im lazy but the electric speedo drive wouldnt move :( maybe thats why they started using a filler hole on the later boxes.

all k11 gearboxes have filler holes on the front of the box. it's also a fluid level check. oil should be filled upto the hole so it just/nearly comes out.

the 1.0 box is very speedy though, same weight flywheel as a JUN. shorter ratios.

Back