gear box removal!

right ever since removing the f/w off my old engine for steve and finding how hard it was undoing the f/w bolts i realised i dunno how tight mine are..

im not slagging off martins work but however im paranoid about it and wanna torque them up! before i embark on my 350 mile journey up north! although i know its been fine but almost every vibration i get makes me superstitions worse! and i dont want my f/w going into Gemma on the way there!

im running franks method of the four bolts holding the box onto the block, is it simply a case of undoing them bolts and then the mounts? how much room will i be left with! enough to pop the clutch off and get in there to torque up the f/w and then central up the clutch?

i think this is aiming towards frank

also how long should it take?

ill still drive it but im paranoid with the long journey saturday! imight try my best at it but i cant afford to get stuck!

its a frankspeed flywheel which was fitted by the previous owner of this 1.3 engine but when i fitted this engine i never checked the bolts on the fw and i dunno if they were torqued up

just a thought,,,,,,,, who evers in passenger seat cross legs , that way flywheel should ricochet up and through the roof?:laugh:

haha dude not funny! ill work on this one evening this week! just to settle my mind lol! but i just wanna know otherwise its a gear box out job and thats soooo longgg although i do have enough oil lol

I didn't tighten up my FW bolts to correct torque on my sr just after I rebuilt it after I blew the bottom end! The first day I drove to work enjoying my car again music on loud pulled up at the gates security guard runs over waving his arms, I wind down my window turn down my music to ask what's up and I'm greeted with him shouting your cars blown up, I hear nothing, give it a little rev and sure enough, rattle of death! I stripped the head to check if a rocker had broke nope! Then I got under the car had a mate start it so I could hear if it was the bottom end, only to discover it was coming from the box, I found to my shock the bolts that were tight had rattled loose, and were all a couple threads from dropping out!! Very close call, ordered new bolts sh!t load of locktite an big torque wrench!
Sorry if my story doesn't fill you with confidence

gulp,,,,,,,,,,, i done mine back up very tight, no torque, no lock gla gla glue
held the socket on over the bolts and bang'd with mallet/hammer very hard

the bolts will only loosen a couple of threads anyway will, then hit the friction plate, and would rattle like mad at idle.
but if you do want to check, i usually lower my g/box down for access, but when we did ash,s clutch it wouldnt lower down for some reason (maybe it was because it was the bigger 1.3 box or because he had the sandwich plate still fitted ?) so with his we pulled the box to the right and accessed the clutch down the 6 inch gap from above (was surprisingly easy :eek: )

Back