Gear Box Help

Hi guys,
was just wondering if you coukld help with a small problem. My gearbox will not select 3rd 4th or 5th :(. I presume i will need a new gearbox. Is that the case?. Its a 1.2 Facelift model. Also i will check the local scrappy unless you know somebody or somewhere i can get one.

cheers chris.

does the gearstick flap forward when you let off the power in gear wile driving and nearly hit the dash? i had this problem when i changed a clutch on a k11 it started off to be fine then it started being a #### to get in gear then it got worse to the stage i had to stick one leg out of the door to reverse it out of parking bays lol:laugh: it turned out the rear box mount had managed to loosen its self all i did was put some thread lock on them and this cured it. if this is the case don't just tighten them cause i did this also and they came loose againgrr

ah right cool ill have to get back to you on that one, coz it happend when my dad drove it to work yesterday :p and i havent spoke to him about it yet.

Also wondering im guessing people have mentioned this before but would a k11 gearbox fit ?? or any other for that matter?? relitivly easily or would it be a pain in the ass ??

Check the linkage arms to make sure that they are secure and that thier mountings haven't failed. I'd be tempted to say that mr dad broke it :wasntme:
When you try to put it in 3, 4 & 5 does it grind and crunch or does the gearstick just plain refuse to actually go move into them? If it's grinding and crunching then it may be a clutch related problem, or worst case an internal problem with the gears themselves (however if 1 & 2 are functioning without noise or issue then it's unlikely that the box is nackered).
If there is no nasty gear-crunching noises then it may be either a linkage problem, a worn selector spring or a gate problem. The gate would be the worst of the three because even though it's a simple job to fix it, the gearbox housing has to be removed to allow access to it.
The spring is just a fat bolt by the black rubber bung that is the reverse switch. You undo the bolt, the spring sits inside it and has a ball bearing on the end. When the spring becomes worn it can no longer push against the input shaft enough to keep it tentioned, which makes gear selection very difficult because the gears no longer line up. Again simple fix, just replace or stretch the spring but do not loose that ball bearing!!!!

First thing to do is a good old fassioned bit of eye-balling. Jack the car up, get under there and have a real good close look at everything (linkages, mountings, brackets, check for leaks etc...).
With the k11 box, there are lots of different oppinions on this. But there is an issue with a dowle pin on either the box or the engine that prevent them from mating together. So there is some drilling and thread-tapping to be done. Also the drive shafts are different, in length and thickness. Again there is lots of materal and discussion on this topic, and many conflicting oppinions about it.
So my advise would be to try and sort out the current k10 box or find another k10 box to replace it before you start to think about going down the k11 box route.
(Y)

if you can wait until the 11th of feb if you want you can buy my k10 box its a 5 speed from a 1.2 pm me if you want it mate(Y)

this is what my dad has to say about it and thanks for all the comments guys ill try and have a look at it sometime
1st- clutch seemed long so let off adjuster ok for somedays but then it felt like clutch was dragging. readjusted clutch. when car is stationary gear change is fine and with engine runing is fine
2nd- driving 1st gear is easy and pulling away is fine with the clutch bite is fine .the change to 2nd is ok and into 3rd is fine but thats where it goes stiff and gear leaver becomes very tight to move. after trying to pull very hard it will move and still be stiff in all gears with engine on or off. make no difference eventually it move and becomes easy again( you can move the stick forward and back easy but side to side is stiff to start ,then becomes easy)
3rd- this hapens every time when in 3rd gear (sometimes when i can get it out of third but is stiff moving left to right even though in is in neutral but does not feel like it ison the leaver)
4th- not got in to 4th or 5th gear whikle driving so cant comment
5th- have looked at the gear leaver the rear mount under the nob are split and droping but not broken
6th- have check the oil and it is fine
suspected that it is in the box any sugestions and are they easy to strip ??

cheers

Change the mount if it is split and drooping. Also slide back the rubber gaitor on the gear selector coupling (the part that sticks out of the gearbox & connects to the gear linkage arm), clean it out in there and grease it up before sliding the rubber gaitor back into place.
Do all the easy stuff before tinkering with the actual box. If you have never worked on a gearbox before then it's best that you don't take it apart or try to fix it yourself.
If the fault turns out to be with the box (i.e. all other possible causes and maintainance have been exhausted and the fault still remains) and you want to fix the current box then i would recomend taking it to a professional and having it reconditioned. A gearbox is something that you should only attempt to work on if you are trained to do so, otherwise you can end up doing more harm than good.

Change the mount if it is split and drooping. Also slide back the rubber gaitor on the gear selector coupling (the part that sticks out of the gearbox & connects to the gear linkage arm), clean it out in there and grease it up before sliding the rubber gaitor back into place.
Do all the easy stuff before tinkering with the actual box. If you have never worked on a gearbox before then it's best that you don't take it apart or try to fix it yourself.
If the fault turns out to be with the box (i.e. all other possible causes and maintainance have been exhausted and the fault still remains) and you want to fix the current box then i would recomend taking it to a professional and having it reconditioned. A gearbox is something that you should only attempt to work on if you are trained to do so, otherwise you can end up doing more harm than good.

very true i have no problem doing boxes but i had a mate that did this once in the garage i used to work at i said do not touch anything while i went to pick some parts up so i get back and the box is in pieces grr this was on a k11 never got it back right and a new box was needed as i really couldn't be bothered stripping it back down.

Back