Gauges and Oil

Just carried out a service and a couple of mods on my gfs micra having bought it on Friday.

My first question is: I used 5W-30 Castrol Oil. Is this viscosity ok?

2nd question: I have changed all the instrument lights to blue LEDs as well as the heater controls. They are all working. However after putting the instrument cluster back on the speedo and fuel gauges are jerking. It is a 1998 with the LCD mileage display, therefore its electrical. Is there a break happening somewhere? Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Ok, so I have sorted the gauges problem. It was the LEDs, must have been something to do with the fact that they draw less current than standard bulbs.

I would still like opinions on the oil I used. The Halfords guide in store and their website recommends 5w-30, which I went on, but I have seen other recommendations for 5w-40 and the Haynes manual says something else again.

Anyone on here know their oils?

haynes says 10w-40 or 15w-40.

i use castrol gtx 10w-40. my previous older engine had to use the 15w-40 high milage oil otherwise it would just consume oil

Ok, so I have sorted the gauges problem. It was the LEDs, must have been something to do with the fact that they draw less current than standard bulbs.

I would still like opinions on the oil I used. The Halfords guide in store and their website recommends 5w-30, which I went on, but I have seen other recommendations for 5w-40 and the Haynes manual says something else again.

Anyone on here know their oils?

The 5w-30 will be just fine, a bit thinner then the standard oil. If anything it will just give you better fuel economy.

Cheers

Guy

Back