Type of OIL ------------

Hiya guys, a question to ask!!! for a turbo aplication what type of oil is recommended, i.e. viscosity of how thin? 5w/10w/15w ? dont really want to go thin?

Cheers

J

Ok, but what is the absolute thickest you could use for a turbo application, cos the engine being high mileage, dont want it to start burning oil when driving and flooring it etc...

Cheers

J

20w50 is usually high mileage engine oil iirc
Normal 10w40 oil suits modern turbo cars ok
Has any of it been rebuilt?
5w50 has the best of both worlds. Almost like multi grade oil

Hi, no my engine hasnt been rebuilt and due to the mileage i dont fancy putting 5w in and a puff of smoke at each time i decide to get a buzz from the turbo, ive always used 15w if anything to be on the safe side but for a turbo is 15w or 20w ok ?

Cheers

J

There's no difference between a multigrade 5w40, 10w40 or 15w40 at operating temperature as they are all rated equivalent SAE40 GRADE. The difference is in viscosity when cold, 5w, (SAE5 GRADE), being less viscous than 15w, (SAE15 GRADE).

Maybe worth noting when buying an oil as this is when most people go wrong.

There's no difference between a multigrade 5w40, 10w40 or 15w40 at operating temperature as they are all rated equivalent SAE40 GRADE. The difference is in viscosity when cold, 5w, (SAE5 GRADE), being less viscous than 15w, (SAE15 GRADE).

Maybe worth noting when buying an oil as this is when most people go wrong.

So if i were to put in thicker oil say the 15w or 20w would it work well with turbo ok?

J

Low viscosity for turbo's. They are manufactured to extremely fine tolerances with little space for lubrication, so go low.
I believe some oils are now at zero viscosity, what is known as the perfect liquid (zero friction, max flow)
I would think the thickest you could go would be 10 ....but that is only my opinion, its what I would use if I was turboed with a high miler.

My turbo diesel Town Ace (don't ask) ran 15w40. I'd run same oil as the car the turbo came off, then there is no guesswork.

My turbo diesel Town Ace (don't ask) ran 15w40. I'd run same oil as the car the turbo came off, then there is no guesswork.
Good shout. I like them Town aces, one down here the other day (K plate) went for £3,000 in fair condition has to be said.

Back