Oil change question

k11_whore

Steve :)
hello, just incase i get the reply use the search function i already have done and not found what i wanted,

i havent done a oil change myself on my micra for ages, i normally get garage to do it for me as im a lazy arse :p
i got the garage to change it 10k ago and the engine was being bit noisier and iv been told by people it could be the oil being thinner than the previous oil, i used castrol magnatec 10w 40 part synthetic in last change, i was wondering what oil i could use if im going thicker what would you recommend? mileage is reading 71338,

question 2: i think i read somewhere that when undoing the sump plug to drain the old oil when you replace the plug you put in a new seal?

thanks :) p.s hoping for quick reply as will buy the oil tomorow and change it saturday

frank

Club Member
15/40 is slightly thicker, but i doubt it will make any difference tho, and i,ve never changed the copper seal personally :)

OP
OP
k11_whore

k11_whore

just weird how engine was abit noisier after putting new oil in, i shant bother with replacing it then if its not essential, guess i could always try a thicker oil who knows, wont do any harm will it? what synthetic should i get? thanks frank

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Frank's right, most people use 10w40 but Nissan recommend 5w30, at least for all the K12s. I use 10w40 in the diesel but the manual says even that should use 5w30. I think I'll switch to 0w40 or 5w40 for better cold flow in the winter :).

OP
OP
k11_whore

k11_whore

cool thanks frank and guy, love this site so helpful compared to other ones im on, i was going to use winter as another excuse to get thicker oil :p

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I normally use Castrol Magnatec 10w-40, which is good stuff as everyone knows.

Recently I've switched to CarLube 10w-40 semi as it's far cheaper and seems to do the job just the same. Tesco normally have it on offer, 7.50 for 4 litres :)