Fuel Pump

I was driving my Micra (fresh from what appeared to be a leak rather than the HG) along earlier and suddenly had a chronic loss of power - it was like it had run out of fuel. Attempts to restart the engine once I had pulled in failed, ranging from it ticking over for a second or two and conking out, to failing to start (but with the ignition turning over) at all.

The RAC man tested a number of things he believed it could be but is pretty sure it is the fuel pump. Are there are tests I can do to make sure it is indeed the pump, and how much am I looking at to get back on the road if it is?

frank

Club Member
you should be able to hear it for a few secs when you turn the key (under the back seat)
and there should be residual pressure when take off a fuelpipe (from the filter or fuelrail)
if thats ok, then it may be a rusty injector fuseholder near the battery

check all the above, and then get someone to check for the injectors pulsing if all else is in order, i.e. all fuses and relays, then i`d be pretty sus about the ecu, but make sure all other alleys are explored first.

Lenzar ..
Did you solve this problem ? Are you having any other symptoms apart from it dying (does it get hot too or fan not coming on) mine did the same thing as yours and after changing the pump I still have the same problems.
Im not suggesting it is the same trouble we have, just curious as to how yours was sorted.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
Lenzar ..
Did you solve this problem ? Are you having any other symptoms apart from it dying (does it get hot too or fan not coming on) mine did the same thing as yours and after changing the pump I still have the same problems.
Im not suggesting it is the same trouble we have, just curious as to how yours was sorted.

only time my fan failed and overheating happend was when the temp sensor wasnt functioning correct
i changed both temp gauge sensor and the water/coolant temp sensor and it whent fine
you can check the resistance too before throwing them