Fuel Injection Possibility?

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
On the Micra K10 Is It Possible To Get Fuel Injection Working Properly, If So Rough Costs? fwn

Cheers Guys

Possible using single point injection but definitely not worth it. Anyway the carbed motors are more fun, easier to tune for the non technical mechanic and more reliable.

And no doubt one of out resident ecu experts will come along to argue the reliabilty thing. ECU's break all the time, or at least one of their sensors. There's only 2 things that are ever wrong with carbs. They're dirty or completely broken

Possible using single point injection but definitely not worth it. Anyway the carbed motors are more fun, easier to tune for the non technical mechanic and more reliable.

And no doubt one of out resident ecu experts will come along to argue the reliabilty thing. ECU's break all the time, or at least one of their sensors. There's only 2 things that are ever wrong with carbs. They're dirty or completely broken

yeah my car was never looked after at all before i got it i have a picture in my blog of the spark plugs i just replaced that were seized in there :eek:
so about cleaning my carb any help on that? fwn

Take it off, then remove every screw and bolt to take it apart. Soak all the parts overnight in petrol, clean everything up with a rag then leave to dry on newspaper. Then go out and buy a haynes manual so you can work out how to put it together again. You'll also need new gaskets and whatnot, ask nissan for a carb rebuild kit if they still do such a thing

Take it off, then remove every screw and bolt to take it apart. Soak all the parts overnight in petrol, clean everything up with a rag then leave to dry on newspaper. Then go out and buy a haynes manual so you can work out how to put it together again. You'll also need new gaskets and whatnot, ask nissan for a carb rebuild kit if they still do such a thing

Gonna have a lot of confusion with this me thinks but i do have a haynes manual - came with the car even though it looks like they never used it :grinning:

Not quite so deeply, I suggest you buy one from a scrapyard, fix that and put that one on. The sunny 1.3 one is good

More power and looks completely standard, the sunny 1.3 carb is identical fitting

in what way power? i mean more top end or acceleration and would i have to change anything else to go with it? :p

also found this info
W15290 328 34ICH K 528 REJET 25 NISSEN SUNNY 4 £208.02 £189.00

I'm not sure never did the mod but coupled with some exhaust mods and a decent filter and you'd be looking at better acceleration and faster rev pickup as you can get the air and fuel in quicker

if you want injection the easiest way would be an omex 600 or similar, but thats £££, an alternative would be to use the k11 ecu and electrics, possibly?

Ed said:
it would be possible to put another ecu from say a GTI-r with alot of mods and turn it to fuel injection using say a figaro inlet manifold ... although that is a fair bit of work.

Thats from a thread i wrote to Ed regarding a remap of the MA12 ECU which is not worth it, if you went with converting it to a figaro ECU i think you would be better just getting the whole Fig engine :D

You really have no experience with what you talk about do you?

How often do you see K11s on this site with blown ECUs? K10s give far more trouble!!!

How about the TB problem, every car with an ecu has some sort of sensor fault at some point. All I'm saying is for old skool mechanics with no computer knowledge carbs are easier to fix and have less possible problems with them

ok boys calm down :grinning: as the fuel injection route seems a tad expensive are we all agreed i can just replace the carb with a 1.3 sunny one with basically nothing else and it will run fine?
also which 1.3 sunny are we talking about is it a specific model?

cheers again

I'm not 100% I don't think there were that many carbed models, as long as the car is a manual it should be the same, let me do more research and I'll get back to you

Right I *think* it's the B11 sunny you want which possibly had the same engine as the Datsun 130Y. Best bet is to go to a scrapyard and look at sunnys around 1985-1991

i don't know if it was ever sold in the UK, but here in canada we had the Suzuki swift 1.3 with TBI, I was thinking of going to a junk yard and getting a complete set up and putting it on my micra because it is a stupidly simple fuel injection system which only requires less than 10 wires to deal with.

say what you want about fuel injection, but I would rather test less than a handfull of sensors with a multimeter or check for codes in the computer than deal with a carburetor.

also, if you do switch up to EFI you could convert to a megasquirt ECU allowing you full control over the engines fuel mappings, and even ignition timing with COP or ignition pack if you installed a crank position sensor.

i don't know if it was ever sold in the UK, but here in canada we had the Suzuki swift 1.3 with TBI, I was thinking of going to a junk yard and getting a complete set up and putting it on my micra because it is a stupidly simple fuel injection system which only requires less than 10 wires to deal with.

say what you want about fuel injection, but I would rather test less than a handfull of sensors with a multimeter or check for codes in the computer than deal with a carburetor.

also, if you do switch up to EFI you could convert to a megasquirt ECU allowing you full control over the engines fuel mappings, and even ignition timing with COP or ignition pack if you installed a crank position sensor.

thats the kind of stuff i was interested in but if its too much mork my lazy self wont do it :blush:

I found a nissan sunny 1.3 carb off a H reg nissan sunny int eh scrap yard (3 door), fitted perfect and went great :D

The 1.4 sunny carb of the same model and era will not fit as i tried this too :D

If you want very little trouble (in my opinion) then go for one of these carbs but dont forget to clean them first

if you plan on doing a bit of tinkering and upgrading the full exhaust system and manifold then bike carbs, webers, or SU's on a custom made manifold might be better? depends on how for you want to go, i only have experience with the 1.3 sunny carb, 34ICH weber and single SU

cheers

Steve

I found a nissan sunny 1.3 carb off a H reg nissan sunny int eh scrap yard (3 door), fitted perfect and went great :D

The 1.4 sunny carb of the same model and era will not fit as i tried this too :D

If you want very little trouble (in my opinion) then go for one of these carbs but dont forget to clean them first

if you plan on doing a bit of tinkering and upgrading the full exhaust system and manifold then bike carbs, webers, or SU's on a custom made manifold might be better? depends on how for you want to go, i only have experience with the 1.3 sunny carb, 34ICH weber and single SU

cheers

Steve

well at the very least i want to regain some horses that its lost over the years and want everything to just run smoothly would be happy with a 1.3 sunny carb and full exhaust system with a shiny manifold (Y) then removing all this god awful egr system nice engine tidy up then its all onto suspension body work and I.C.E :grinning:

How about the TB problem, every car with an ecu has some sort of sensor fault at some point. All I'm saying is for old skool mechanics with no computer knowledge carbs are easier to fix and have less possible problems with them

Fuel Injection generally produces more power, more efficiently and more reliably. And can't be old School at 19 ;) ECU's were around before I was born!

Downside to ECU's and electronic control is the cost of it in comparison to carbs.

Yeah, I'm only 19 as well, however I learnt to fix old cars and in fact anything with a carb. Personally I think fuel injection overcomplicates things and although it may produce more power a well tuned SU type carb can be more economical.

It's not worth making a K10 electronic, it'd cost more than the car is worth and wouldn't create much more power, bike carbs are another matter :p

Not saying your wrong but why are dragsters carburetted?

Lots of them arn't. Also they have vastly different fuel requirements to that of a car running different fuels etc..

Fuel injection is better in every single way than what a carb could ever dream of. You NEVER got factory produced cars in the early 80s making over 100bhp/litre that drive as smoothly as modern once where powers like this are quite common.

The megasquirt idea on a K10 wouldn't be that hard. Personally tho a fig inlet manifold makes the conversion easy. Just a case of wiring and fitting a fuel pump to get the rest of the system going!

if it wasnt for the cost id have an omex 600 ecu, ive been looking rescently but second hand on ebay they make around £450

Easier and cheaper to use a pulsar ecu. It will read all the fig sensors.

is it? my application would be for the cg engine im putting in, i want something relatively simple to wire up, will work with a range of sensors and will be mappable by myself.

Well if your fitting the CG engine use the CG injection!!!!!!

could do but that means me either bulying a donor car or getting everything from the scrapyard and i still cant map it myself, can i???

I'm guessing (after may minutes of head scratching) that fig = figaro?

is this a single or multi-point injected manifold?

is it as 'choking' as the K10 manifold?

does anyone have a photograph or drawing of this bad-boy?

haha its nearly like the ST manifold just more primitive. Much better than the stock K10 one. I have one in the workshop ill take a pic, but its not suitable for sticking a carb on the intake. But its IDEAL for a EFI conversion.

great stuff! thanks for sorting a photo out...I'll keep my eyes peeled

(avoiding a fully custom manifold would be cool if theres a practical alternative)

Back