Fuel gauge faulty possibly the sender on it's way out?

Hi everyone

The fuel gauge on my car isn't working 100%, the needle doesn't bounce up and down but it changes level dramatically during driving, it can be half full, and go down to a quater etc then when you think the car is drinking petrol... you park up and 5 minz later its back up to half way.

Is this the sender on it's way out? Do Nissan still make this part and how much? Does changing the dials fix the problem? Wanna fix them but getting rev counter dials soon...

M reg 1.0 L :)

LMK :D

Thank you :)

Also another problem I've noticed...

When the engine is at tempreature, You leave the car idling in neautral... take foot off pedal and there is a rattle, quite a noticeable one too... but when you put the clutch pedal to the floor, the rattle stops.

Is this nothing to worry about, or is this an early/ late sympton to a problem? I can take a video but the microphone on my phone is somewhat ######ED.

Hi everyone

The fuel gauge on my car isn't working 100%, the needle doesn't bounce up and down but it changes level dramatically during driving, it can be half full, and go down to a quater etc then when you think the car is drinking petrol... you park up and 5 minz later its back up to half way.

Is this the sender on it's way out? Do Nissan still make this part and how much? Does changing the dials fix the problem? Wanna fix them but getting rev counter dials soon...

M reg 1.0 L :)

LMK :D

Thank you :)

the fuel dial has a sorta viscous dampener in it which tends to stick. i just removed the clear front cover of the instrument panel and twiddle the fuel gauge needle round n round to loosen it up. it'll feel stiff initially and then get very loose. position back to roughly where it was pointing and it shoud move abit freely now.

Also another problem I've noticed...

When the engine is at tempreature, You leave the car idling in neautral... take foot off pedal and there is a rattle, quite a noticeable one too... but when you put the clutch pedal to the floor, the rattle stops.

Is this nothing to worry about, or is this an early/ late sympton to a problem? I can take a video but the microphone on my phone is somewhat ######ED.

check for loose exhaust shields on the first cat converter and under the car

My gauge was all over the shop the other day. From full to empty randomly. The tank had a few knocks during a rally and this dislodged the pump, gauge sender and bracket. They were all floating about in the tank. Lifted back seat, 3 screws on pump cover. Popped off fuel pipe and rotated the large nut holding it/ seeing the tank. Snapped it all back into position. All sorted. Did take about 10 minutes to sued how it went together though. You will need to removed this to change sender anyway

the fuel dial has a sorta viscous dampener in it which tends to stick. i just removed the clear front cover of the instrument panel and twiddle the fuel gauge needle round n round to loosen it up. it'll feel stiff initially and then get very loose. position back to roughly where it was pointing and it shoud move abit freely now.

I DONE this the other day so far so good , no bobing up and down of the needle!

My gauge was all over the shop the other day. From full to empty randomly. The tank had a few knocks during a rally and this dislodged the pump, gauge sender and bracket. They were all floating about in the tank. Lifted back seat, 3 screws on pump cover. Popped off fuel pipe and rotated the large nut holding it/ seeing the tank. Snapped it all back into position. All sorted. Did take about 10 minutes to sued how it went together though. You will need to removed this to change sender anyway

my 1.o k reg lx one was loose in the tank, and i left it like that with no issues
but you doing rally's would need it as you have done it

Yeh my car was getting fuel starvation if cornered hard momentarily. Doing epynt Tarmac rally week tomorrow. If you have never heard of this venue type it into YouTube and watch some on board footage. Its wilde

Doing epynt Tarmac rally week tomorrow.

good luck next week kipsy (Y) here,s one of my boss,s toys, you,ll have to open a thread about the rally :grinning:

Attachments

• SDC11619.JPG
    SDC11619.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 408
Back