Fuel and temp gauges telling fibs.

Hi all,

Merry Crimble to you all.

Need a bit of putting right on a basic issue. I have searched the site but not found an answer, so hope I am posting something new and not being a pratt.

I swapped out all my K10 interior light and instrument light bulbs for blue LED do-dads, they look great, but the Temp Gauge and Fuel Gauge are now indicating below where they should be. I tested this by filling the tank to the max and the gauge only shows just above 3/4 full.

Have I hit the circuit resistance trap?

I was told a little while ago by a guy who teaches mechanics in a training centre to cut out the resistor that slows the needles down so that they creep. By cutting out that resistor (he said) the needle will jump to the level.

Is this true?

Have I been a dork and hurt my Little Red?

Where is this resistor he carped on about?

By the way, the AA are the best!!! I had dinner at Mcd's today on way back from another hospital appointment and like a numpty, sat stuffing my face with the lights on, then I read a bit of my book whilst drinking my coffee. Little Red wouldn't start. Three AA vans were parked up and they all wandered over, one with a starter pack, told me to pop the lid and got me going. There are still guys out there that do the job because they want to help, not for the salary! AA get my vote!!

I would have thought the lighting to the dials and interior are on a different loom the dials so changing the bulbs will have no effect? How crap is the position on the interior light btw!

Back