front springs

R

RIK

has anyone fitted front springs themselves?
got my powercoil's today going to fit tomorow(weather permiting) so anything i need to know?
i can do rears no probs,but the fronts i have never had to do myself so i mite have to take to a garage to get them fitted,but would like to do them myself,beause its cheaper and i have to save up for another engine

never done myself but i think u need compressors or something? correct me if im wrong. I got the garage to do mine, cost me £50 for all 4 so would imagine £30 tops for ur fronts

They are easy to do, you also need a spanner to hold th etop-nut in and a couple of breaker bars to undo the two lower bolts

i say do it urself easy + u gain exp u def need spring compressors tho wasnt their a guide in here b4? but theres a black metal thing on top might b easier to access the nut if u remove that by bending the 2 clips on each end back (just bend them back on after :)

basically:
undo lower strut bolts to wheel
undo top bolts in engine bay off comes strut inc springs as its 1 pc
put spring compressors on
undo the bolt in the middle of the rubber thing u have to hold the strut piston still (mole grips?) then put spanner on the bolt (swan neck spanner?) n twist 2 get it off (abit of a bugger one of mine came off easy other 1 just rounded off the end so i just ripped my strut to pieces since i was fitting koni's (u know what i mean when u try :p)
after u take off bolts the spring just comes off btw if u didnt have compressors on that bolt u just taken off n the other pieces there would of just pranged in ur face! :( thats y u need them also u need the compressors to put it together again 2 ok on to nxt basic step
take compressors off old spring put on new
put new spring on strut
put pieces u took off back on same order
put on the centre nut thing n ur done now just refit the strut to the car :)

cheers,,weather aint too good here,and i aint getting wet! so ill wait til the weekend,,how much are spring compressors and were can i get them?

hellfrauds?

spring compressors r about 20 quid but if u want cheaper im sure u can get for 15 quid or less? :)

weather is crap here too just come back from mcdonalds n went through a fricking big "pool" of water which was about a good 4" deep!

forgot to mention but yes u can get spring compressors any where halfords do them at 20 quid i think motorsave if u got one may b cheaper even normal diy stores do them but if u got a big place like say draper where u r then prob about 15 quid

thanks matey.will shop around,thers no real rush as i need to fit an engine lol,but i wanna see wot they look like and it gives me something to do

im also going to be painting cam cover and mounts stuff like that from my engine ready to go on the new one wen i fit it,,shud like nice and neat :)

they look like basically a bit bolt with 2 claws on it one pointing up n other down these go on the coil of the springs n when u screw the bolt thing on the end they go closer together thats all simple stuff u can even make ur own but i wouldnt advise it as u need some strong material if not the spring just reck what ever u made n u prob have shards of crap in u

also what crap do u use to clean the cam cover if it has oil grease n all that other crap on it?

i get got my last one sand blasted,,and wil get this one done too,at my uncles work

ill get him to knok a pair of spring compressors together too,,:)

Back