Installing new springs?

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
I've just bought 40mm cobra springs for my micra but I'm not too sure how to install them,

i was going to get a garage to do it but now i want to do it myself so i learn.

can anyone give me any tips?
what tools will i need?
and roughly how long will it take?

thanks loads guys n girls,

Torque Wrench
Couple of jacks

Axle Stands

Ideally a swan neck spanner (helps to loosen the front shock nut whilst its still on the vehicle)

Decent set of sockets

Basically follow as it says in the Haynes, the rears took me under half an hour, the fronts probably under an hour!

a spring compressor wouldn't go a miss, tho i've been told that you don't really need one.

if ya got / can get one for nowt then use it, if not don't

:)

thanks loads guys, I'll read up on the haynes,

so defintly something i can do over the weekend?

Will i have any problems with tire wear or tracking or does that only happen when you change the shocks as well?

you'll get the uneven tyre wear without the adjustable panhard rod, camber and castor kits.

suppose you could get the tracking checked, wouldn't hurt

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 222
so if i just chuck on these springs without the adjustable panhard rod etc will i get uneven tire wear?

RE: RE: Installing new springs?

James said:
NeX said:
tyre!! Over here we speak English, not American! :p ;)

lol, just realised i've done that to. will change it for james :p:laugh:

nex, you'll deffo get uneven tyre:p wear i'm not sure how much uneven tho. it's just better to have the panhard rod. to keep the wheels aligned etc

ok where do i get a panhard rod from and how do i adjust it so i don't get uneven TYRE wear?

....on my automobile :p

thanks but i'm not putting them on if they're gonna screw up the car,

what else will i need to buy so i can lower my car by 40mm without any problems?

Thanks guys n girls

you can never lower a car without any problems, its just the degree of problem you get. Its because c ar is designed to work with its factory suspension. IF you start lowering, everything will be out, things will be sitting at diferent angles to what they're supposed to etc.

i see, so what kind of things are effected? just suspention related stuff or is the engine etc effected as well....

i think i'm gonna have to pay a pro:down:

bruv get a pro to do it, its tooo long if u dont know wot ur doing. the best way u cud ever have a go at doin it urself, is not by reading sum book, u need to be shown and watch sum1 else do it first, then id say have a crack at it....but for ur own good and ur cars....get it done at a decent garage, trust me.

and may i add that its not like installing an amp to a car.........suspension stuff is serious stuff, u go wrong sumwhere and u'll be putting ur life at risk.

RE: RE: Installing new springs?

Kniksman said:
bruv get a pro to do it, its tooo long if u dont know wot ur doing. the best way u cud ever have a go at doin it urself, is not by reading sum book, u need to be shown and watch sum1 else do it first, then id say have a crack at it....but for ur own good and ur cars....get it done at a decent garage, trust me.

and may i add that its not like installing an amp to a car.........suspension stuff is serious stuff, u go wrong sumwhere and u'll be putting ur life at risk.

yea i know what you mean, i'm getting gti brakes and a rear disk convertion done by a pro and then checked by a genuine nissan dealer.

the thing is that i ordered the springs half a month ago and now they're here i really want them on......

so if i hand it over to a pro are they going to have to find a panhard rod etc...

because i'd like to buy all the stuff i need and just hand it to a pro,

Thanks guys :)

Ok i'll try this local guy who's doing my dad's suspention and did my bad boy bonnet,

he's very busy but he knows his stuff,

you can get away without an ajustable panhard rod, just its better to have one as it prevents further problems also your car will handle better

ok, yea the reson i'm going low is for the handling,

i will eventually get everything like a full white line kit and coilovers etc but at the mo i can only afford one thing at a time....

thanks for all your help people,

it's given me a better idea of the task ahead :)

Back