Front Radiator Suport section. REMOVE THAT RUST!

CMF_woohoomobile

» CMF Member
Hello.

Well my (all) K11 came to me with a bit of rust in the lower radiator support.

I made inquiries with Nissan, They still can supply the replacement panel. I got 2 very different prices. $270, and $600 !!!

so i then looked up

http://allcrashparts.partsales.com.au/dealersearch/dealer_login.jsp?site_id=1243

and found it listed in there.

Went down and saw my mate a REPCO

List Price i was quoted was $130 !

picked it up toady and its the WHOLE front section, from headlight mounts to lower radiator support.

ill post a pic and give progress of it being fitted, im a little skeptical about the quality, so we will see.

CMF_woohoomobile

» CMF Member
Nah, forgot to add that.

it looks OK, but the genuine one has a little more groves stamped in it, so i would assume its stiffer.

I'm weighing up weather to unpick the lower beam, or change the whole front.

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
I always keep an eye on rust proofing the metal work , if I am around the car I have a old paint brush in a pot of new engine oil , and I just brush some oil around the top of the panel ..gravity does the rest .

CMF_woohoomobile

» CMF Member
Sorry, i forgot about those pics...

09022012472.jpg

17022012112.jpg

Using a spot weld drill bit, removed the lower piece only.
17022012115.jpg

17022012118.jpg

17022012122.jpg

hope that helps...

Sorry bout the crappy phone pics at the workshop. my replacement part did NOT have the two little nuts welded into the bottom where the tow point bolts up. and i didnt realize until she was 90% back together.

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
Going to need to fix the rust on the lower front radiator support soon also.

For those who have done this, did they use the panel from ozeparts.com.au or elsewhere ? If elsewhere, where ? Whatever panel was used, was it a good fit out of the box or was there a lot of fiddling around to make it fit ?

Any details of a Sydney based panel beater /welder who did a good job replacing the lower radiator support panel/lower front crossmember on their micra and approximate cost ?

CMF_woohoomobile

» CMF Member
Yeh mickb, the hoist was a luxury. its do able on stands. but i wouldnt attempt it with the radiator in there. was awkward enough to drill out the welds with all that removed. there was still i couple i couldnt get out nice.
Im happy to give you a hand once the part comes in man.

Pen pusher.

i dont think too many active members on here have done it. I was quoted about $200 unpainted. if i do the strip / reassemble.

best bet is to go down to your local panel shop and ask,

Price 1 - they do it all, strip parts, fix, re assemble.

Price 2 - you strip all the parts in their carpark or what ever. they swap the panels and you reassemble the parts.

at worst it will be $50 for a tow back to your shed to put it back together.

I did the whole job from 10am to 5pm, - welding, a friend did that.

CMF_Tinky

» CMF Member
Got one of these also, from REPCO $140. Crashparts was the name on the wrapping Penpusher.RB sorry mate not NISMO:( Made in Taiwan.Mickb dreaming of a hoist also.. Woohoo how long did it take to fit ? & do you think it could be done with out removal of rad. I have A/C too that complicates things a bit. How did you solve the tow hook problem?

CMF_woohoomobile

» CMF Member
i dumped the A/C and removed the condenser. i wanted to change the coolant anyway.
took me most of the day, by my self.

if the car is straight (no accident) its not too bad of a job.

the tow hook, its now what you call, for decoration only.
people say the two bolts holding it vertically will be enough. i doubt that.

if you all check it before you fit it, you can tack weld some nuts inside the lower section to be sure.

Back