front end shimmer

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
car is a 1 litre facelift .
strange one this , when accelerating in 2nd gear the front of the car shimmers slightly side to side , only does it when going straight , the steering is fine . has done it with 2 sets of wheels , tracking seems ok , nothing looks out of place , but has done it since the drive shafts got changed .

Any ideas ?

thanks

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
Frank , would I expect any noise with a dodgy cv ?

both the drive shafts have a little bit of end float so they are not pushing against the engine , and they seem to be secure ..

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
but what gets me is it only happens in 2nd gear !!!

I have tried holding 1st for a while ... no shimmer , just like 3rd and 4th ... and not when cornering ... I will drive it a bit longer and see what develops !!

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
What frank is saying is right.. 2nd might just resonate the right sound to make it shake. Could be a (unlikely) dodgy engine mount too.

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
not done it today !!!!

just been out for a run with the car loaded up , 3 adults , a child and stuff in the boot ...and it was ok ??

normally does it with just the driver ???

will check out the drive shafts etc this week

thanks for the comments

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
cant seem to pin it down , it comes , it goes ...

I am going to check out the tracking in the holidays , I have lowered the tyre pressures a bit and it seems less obvious .
wondering if the car gained too much toe out , then gains more when the front lifts under acceleration , which is the only time it does it ??

Back