Front end knocking

As above my k11 1.3 Si has developed a front knock whist driving.
The car will knock and the steering will wobble, as the speed increases it will get better.
The alloys appear to be straight
Anyone had the same problem?
Many thanks
broadie

the outer C/V,s usually click on lock when worn out eh, but worn inner C/V,s can give vibration at certain speeds (and can be removed/replaced) :grinning:

could it be a wheel bearing?............worth jacking it up to make sure................when mine was knocking the wheel bearing nut had came loose, had loads of play on the wheel but very little on the steering wheel............put me been me must have over tightened it and it still knocked till i loosened it off abit now its fine....

till mot on monday ( hope it passes )

hope ya sort it broadie

Thanks for the replys ill have a look at the wheel bearing nut first .Hopefully not the cv joints dont fancy changing them and there is no clicking when on full lock. still its done 103k so it could well be worn inner cv joints.######:doh:
Thanks again

Track rod end? are you having a laugh?
Don't fret about the shafts, they are £20 for a pair from a scrap yard. If the shaft is worn at the joints there will be excessive play and the shaft will wobble as it turns, also the rubber balancing blocks on the long shaft are prone to fall apart and this unbalances the shaft. Think along the lines of a washing machine on full speed spin cycle with an uneven load inside...

Since the drive shafts are connected to the wheel hub, and the steering rack is connected to the wheel hub, the vibration will travel up the the steering wheel and also into the body via the steering rack and shock absorber.
The cv joints are part of the drive shafts, which is why it is a lot easier and cheaper to change the complete shafts.

Have you changed a wheel/wheels lately to ones that are not balanced or lost a balancing weight?

TBH that was my first thought and havn,t ruled it out, it does drive like its a bent alloy at low speeds but clears up with speed(over 35 MPH).
Something is deffo out of balance or badly worn, and its a progressive fault started out as a small vibration and is now very noticeable at low speed.
Thanks for your replys guys it all very helpful.
cheers
broadie

Had a similar problem on my grey Micra, it was a bent 13" steel wheel, changed it and all ok. Swap the front wheels to the back and check if the problem is solved...

Cheers going to do just that .
Change wheels front to back.

Check and retighten the wheel bearings.

Check driveshafts.
If none of the above work sell it!!!!!(Y)

Well its now sorted:grinning:
Nothing more than a bent alloy switched the offending alloy with my spare and hay ho no more wobbles.
I did have a good look ,and proded around the front driveshafts ,which are ok.
Many thanks to all who helped .
Cheers
broadie(Y)

Back