Front cross member - How to check if it's rusty

Hi all,

i'm going to have a look at a K11 this weekend for my gf, (it'll be her first car).

I just wondered if there was any way of telling the condition of the front cross member from just looking at the car inside the bonnet, as when I've tried to see mine I can't really see it.

If anyone has any photos of one without having to take bits off the car i'd be grateful. Do you think there is much else to look out for except that and the sills being rusty?

cheers all.

Stand infront of your car,reach under the front bumper and theres a big beam, push your fingers into it all the way along really hard - ideally you dont want your fingers to go through (that means its rusted)
But if your fingers DONT go through, then push as HARD as you can on purpose to break it, if it doesnt break - then its a goodun :E

** Good haggling point if it fails, ask him to get a quote on repairing it - garages will ask about £250! +£50 part)

cheers dusk, damn I really hope its ok - £250!?!?! does it really cost that much for one fitted!? The car is only £500 ono so that'll be a right pain in the arm!

Any other things I should look out for?

or use you key/screwdrivver to try poke through it...

check exhaust insnt blowing cos they are crap the nissan ones

Thanks Rik - I just thought actually - do you think the seller will let me have a drive of it? I mean - where would I stand insurance wise with that etc! :|

They dont have to for insurance reasons but obviously it'l help sell the car if they let you have a spin in it. You wont be covered, but it'l only be a 10 minute drive. I think most people take that risk when selling a car

Id recommend lying down and checking for any previous patching etc, incase theyve gotten it done before, as if it starts to go again..it'll needed replacing really (id reckon anyway).

and as said above, stab the hell out of it while you there...lol, just to make sure. :)

Removing a crossmember and fitting another...id say is fairly easy if your happy / confidentent enough to use tools (and have the spare time).

Crossmember i think is £36 (from memory maybe slightly more / slightly less)

welding if you know someone who welds or can find a decent garage then your sorted...really the weldings the dead easy bit for someone who knows what theyre doing.

my brother and me just did his, and after a week on/off and lots of drilling out spot welds...and the welding sorted, jobs a goodun.

Think in total came to about £50 - 60 somthing like that :) which you cant complain about...but yeah a garage will charge you alot, as its a canny involved job.

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=6760 <-- will give you an idea of what to look for :)

thanks for the help guys - solarice cheers for the link too - this makes a bit more sense now.

Can anyone think of any thing else I should look at on this micra?

Agree with Solarice, don't wear your best clothes and get on the floor and tap it with some force, tell the seller why and that it shouldn't break (don't want them accusing you of damaging on purpose)
Also do same with the sills including inside the arches

My site

On my site you can find some pics of me and Kristian replacing a front panel, you can see what a damaged cross member looks like

oh yeah take a torch its handy.. plus it'll scare the guy, he'll think damn!!!

and make sure heater works fully, and do a full check on lights(indicators, brakes, reverse etc..) get some bulb money knocked off if they are out...

be cheeky and ask for a tank of petrol the worst he'll say is nope...

and let your gf make the ultimate decision or you'll never hear the end of it...

thanks for that guys. cracking advice about the gf having the final decision mean_micra - you're right there.

how much do you reckon I should ask for off the ono price if the front cross member is looking rusty?

Nice one about the torch too!

WIDE_ARCHED_BOY said:
jst go really low and if the say no go a bit higher and say its for cash

yea i think i'd have to offer lower if the front cross member is shot, coz my gf wouldnt' be able to afford to fix one of those. Cheers.

Back