Fried ECU

Hello. I hate to make my first post a request, but I'm pretty frustrated.

Last friday, my moms car, a '97 Micra K11 wouldn't start. Well, it did start for a couple of seconds before it died. It took me a couple of minutes to put two and two together and realized that the flashing engine-lamp meant that NATS was on the fritz.

Fast forward monday, I gave it another go and suddenly there came smoke from the ECU and the familiar smell of fried motherboard. I took the ECU out, and then took the cover off. Only to verify that the damn thing short-circuited on some water I suspect sneaked in through the heater matrix.

So the thing I'm wondering now is what are my choices? Is it what I fear that I could either scrap the car or go to my local dealership and get it swapped out? The price of the ECU alone is pretty expensive.

For a second I thought I could get one from another car or similar but then I would have a problem with NATS not recognizing my key. Or maybe there's a way around that?

The option of scrapping it also gives me shivers down my spine, because it's a great car with a low mileage.

Cheers

I can supply an ECU that the car will run with for £150. If it has an OEM radio however that may no longer work as thats part of the NATS system. Water is a common problem. Often gets through the vents during unusual conditions.

Ahh, I understand. No, I don't have a OEM radio then.

So the consequence of this ECU is that my NATS system does not function any more? I can surely live with that, It's just been a blinking red LED before it decided to break down on me.

The rest of the nats system will work central locking etc.

Hello again.

I just need to be clear on this. By using your ECU, I only need to connect it to my car, no matching to my key, no mapping, no nothing?

Back