Found potential Micra, but there is a problem

-SS-

Ex. Club Member
Some of you may know this, other smay not, but VOSA have a computerised database which the public can access.

It will bring up the past MOTs for that car, as long as you have:

(a) Reg
(b) MOT test number from the latest MOT test certificate

VOSA link here: http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECSID-Internet-Status-Request.jsp

Now, the car that I am looking at is a 1999 1.0 auto. I noticed the MOT has cautioned twice now (2007 and 2008) on the following:

Nearside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated (2.5.C.1a)
Offside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated (2.5.C.1a)

Anybody know what it is and whether this is something serious? I have no idea what those bits are and where they are located in the car.

yeah thats nothing major, the CV gaitor is part of the driveshaft. its just a piece of rubber which has probably burst leaking out the grease

yeah thats nothing major, the CV gaitor is part of the driveshaft. its just a piece of rubber which has probably burst leaking out the grease

Thanks. Does that mean the bit that should be greased is no longer greased and that could be an issue?

Or am I talking bollox? :D

this is a simple job that could be done by most people with the right tools, the parts are cheap, you can get them on ebay as low as £11 the pair!, you need a big driveshaft spanner, undo that and the suspention (obviously taking the wheel off first) and then pull the old one off, (will take some jiggling) and push the new one on :D lots of grease, seal it up and you are good to go, i have done it a few times and they went pretty smoothly.

cant remember off the top of me head how much they are to buy. a guess at no more than a tenner each and 1 hour plus to do each side depending how many fags and cuppas you have :p garage might charge you £15-£20 aside depending where you live and how often you use them. wher are you anyway mate?

I put up a thread about this a while ago : http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=29212

And yer a cv boot is a piece of #### to change. I got a pair of cv joints,boots, and grease for something like 20 quid delivered. took me about hour and a half to change the pair of them, working on the a365 mind you, so i had to turn the car around for each sde.

And yer a cv boot is a piece of #### to change. I got a pair of cv joints,boots, and grease for something like 20 quid delivered. took me about hour and a half to change the pair of them, working on the a365 mind you, so i had to turn the car around for each sde.

Thanks dude.

Tell me, if this something I should be looking to change ASAP when I get the car, or can it wait and is not an urgent thing ie. car will live without it fine?

Got my last MOT certificate here. I had my drive shaft boot changed, parts came to £15.

Get it done soon as things like that are greased for a reason. Not a big job will be cheap enough to send to a garage if you don't have the time to do it yourself.

Yeah CV boots are easy, my mot failed recently due to them, same reasons, they were just not secured down properly by the clips, so classed as unsafe! Mine cost about 3-4 quid each from local motor factors when i replaced them months ago. Didnt take long to change over, hour at max.

Thanks dude.

Tell me, if this something I should be looking to change ASAP when I get the car, or can it wait and is not an urgent thing ie. car will live without it fine?

not a major issue as others have already said...though if they are advisory, you could try and suggest they may need doing (check them when you view anyway along with rest of car) and maybe get a bit knocked off the price.

Grease inside the rubber lubricates the CV joint.If run dry the joint will start clicking when turning.
Other downside to split boots is grease splattered all over the inside of your rims which is a ##### to get off.

Back