MOT Advisory

We recently bought 2002 reg Micra which is in a good condition but looking at the last MOT which was done few months back, it has 4 advisory items that I want to fix.

Advisory items
1. Nearside inner rear Break pipe slightly corroded [3.6.B.2c]
2. Offside inner rear Brake pipe slightly corroded [3.6.B.2c]
3. Nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated but preventing the ingress of dirt [2.5.C.1a]
4. Offside (minor pin hole) front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt [2.5.C.1a]

I will definitely have a go at 3&4 but how difficult is fixing the brake pipes? which one of the two (CV boot or brake pipes) would you prioritize to do first or would you just wait till they go?

any help/advice is really appreciated.

Abaaba

Advisory items
1. Nearside inner rear Break pipe slightly corroded [3.6.B.2c]
2. Offside inner rear Brake pipe slightly corroded [3.6.B.2c]

how difficult is fixing the brake pipes?

My 2002 K11 rear brake pipes need doing before the next MOT, and are probably the same as yours, just some surface rust.
If they were bad, then they would have failed it.

I plan to pop the wire brush attachment on the Dremel and take the rust off. Then I might just dip a rag in grease and give the pipe a light coating, or I have some rust prevention stuff in the garage to paint on. Will decide once I've taken the rust off.

If you haven't got a Dremel, then one of those mini wire brushes will do. Something like this:

Wire Brush Set

Just thinking about the brake pipe thing, and maybe my idea of lightly coating in grease isn't such a good idea, as the MOT guy might mistake it for a leaking pipe. Rust prevention stuff it is then :)

My 2002 K11 rear brake pipes need doing before the next MOT, and are probably the same as yours, just some surface rust.
If they were bad, then they would have failed it.

I have some rust prevention stuff in the garage to paint on.

Thanks mate.

will any rust prevention paint do or does it have to be certain specs/brands?

Thanks mate.

will any rust prevention paint do or does it have to be certain specs/brands?
I'll be honest and reckon any rust prevention stuff will do. IIRC, the stuff I've got in the garage is called Loctite Rust Remedy.
I believe it dries matt black, so shouldn't look too suspicious to the MOT examiner.

The main thing is to remove as much of the existing rust as you can ;)

Oh, and wear eye protection, coz you don't want any of that rusty **** in your eyes.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen corroded rear brake pipes as an advisory on a K11 MOT cert.

On the SuperS it was back in 2004/5. Turned out to be nothing but a build up of mud and dirt on the outside of the pipe.

10years later with no intervention and it's still on the original brake lines without any further mention.

Same thing on the Sport+. Picked up in 2009 and never mentioned again.

Not saying it isn't so but a good wire brushing will soon see what's what I guess...

And while you're getting down and dirty with the wire brush, take a look at the rear sills (common MOT failure).

Derust thoroughly and give them a coating of rust stuff too. The more time you spend on this area now, the less trouble you'll have later down the line.

Back