For those with wide arches

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Hi

I have often wondered about the wide arch body kits for the micra, where do people get the wheel spacers from and what size do you normally go for?

Also as the wheels sit under the arch how do you stop them from bashing into the arch? and sustain handling?

May sound daft but thought id ask i have my own ideas but to be honest there a bit pants lol

Thanks

Paul

you would have to cut the arches away eh paul, and wheel offset would be better than spacers, but i tried some mega offset wheels on the front and the steering was horrible! (scrub radius issue)

get ur arches professionly rolled and heated,:) mine are perfect never any prob with the spacers, but ive fitted nismo hardend shocks and springs to keep it sollid,;)

On the front it's a complete replacement arch, so there's no clearance issues as such and the arches are very high to cater for soft spec springs with long travel.

On the rear they cut back the original arch, weld in a new arch tub to meet up with the wider rear arch molding.

As for the Aspect / Mulholland style arches, I am not sure but I would imagine they cut back the OEM arch to a point. Never got a good look at solarice's K11 at JAE but I would imagine the FRP arches do not have a complete through thickness to them, so that the wheel can still go up under the arch without fouling but this is only an assumption. The Aspect +20mm arches I have are certainly like that.

How mad did you go on the front out of interest Frank?

How mad did you go on the front out of interest Frank?
it was these dave (formula ford slicks on reversed and widened 13",s)

scruc.JPG

Whoa! Them be crazy..... :D

I think my consideration of a 7" ET10 on the front is pretty tame by comparison :rolleyes:

you would need that much to fill a widearch kit really tho eh :) and i think you draw a line from the topmount to the bottom balljoint eh, and ideally that should hit the ground at the centre of the tyre footprint (for zero scrub radius).
so extended wishbones and shafts would correct the steering issues eh :)

scr rad.JPG

The front wings on mine have probably had something like 4cm (at least) of metal removed, as its cut upto where the new arch starts (i ended up doing this three times :rolleyes: - that includes the metal and fibreglass, so much easier if you just cut it to the max first time haha).

The rears needed similar treatment, but more reshaping than cutting out tbh.

The aspect wide arches do arrive with a good lip to them something like 5 cms. I cant say why or if it was originally intended to left on. I've never seen a close up pic of them installed in japan, but with it left on it would seal up the rears completely though make lowering the car limited. On mine this ended up being removed to make way for the wheels / lower ride height...theres probably about a 5mm of lip now on the fronts and rears.

Back