Dodgey paypal e-mail scam!!!

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
I've just had a very weird e-mail come through that was soo good I was nearly caught out from it.

It's telling me someone has sent me cash through paypal for £57.82 and I even have a London UK address for the shipping information. Now my first thought was I have sold nothing on ebay and no one should be sending me cash through paypal at the moment.

It even has the security advise on the right hand side, it's got to be the best e-mail I've had through such as like the crap ebay ones.

Well I highlighted the text and this came through at the bottom, orginally in white text, but when highlighted show's blue

"Mack patriarch although wallis antithetic bagel spokane transmittal bantu bambi bench bled could persona astigmatism bethought washout dauphin aficionado virtue borate goodbye it'll junco dunlap 5715 "

How Odd!!!!!!

Anyway I have reported to it both AOL and paypal and awaiting a response, does anyone know of this.

AOL states this:

AOL Security
Suspected Phishing Scam
AOL has received complaints from our members suggesting that this site may be improperly collecting AOL member data. In order to protect our members, AOL is presently preventing AOL members from accessing this site.

You can also learn more about how AOL can help make your online experience more safe and secure by visiting AOL Keyword: Phishing

I deal with paypal all the time so when ever there is an email that I dont know of, I just forward it to [email protected] and then they will reply to see if its a real paypal email.

All I can say is use your head! Like our chairman!
If it looks dodgey or too good to be true - dont take you 5 minutes to verify it with paypal.

Off topic kev-didnt know you live in Leicester, I'm only in Derby! Maybe see you around as we are alway at Fosse Park - well my Mrs is!!

Yeah that's what I've done, just wanted to let others know that the e-mails are getting better.

Kev

Cheers for the heads up. I've not been fooled by anything like this yet, but it does happen!

Have you checked where it came from? Look at the properties of the sender and it should reveal the true email address source.......

Ive had about 20 in the last week. put he mouse over the link and it points to something totally wrong.

Ed

Retepetsir, that wont work if they have used an open mail relay to send the email which is quite common.

MICRASKYLINE said:
I deal with paypal all the time so when ever there is an email that I dont know of, I just forward it to [email protected] and then they will reply to see if its a real paypal email.

All I can say is use your head! Like our chairman!
If it looks dodgey or too good to be true - dont take you 5 minutes to verify it with paypal.

Off topic kev-didnt know you live in Leicester, I'm only in Derby! Maybe see you around as we are alway at Fosse Park - well my Mrs is!!

lol hes not a chairman he is our chairmen

:D

Ed said:
Ive had about 20 in the last week. put he mouse over the link and it points to something totally wrong.

Ed

Retepetsir, that wont work if they have used an open mail relay to send the email which is quite common.

Quite often they dont need bother! In my experiance anyway :suspect:

Retepetsir said:
Have you checked where it came from? Look at the properties of the sender and it should reveal the true email address source.......

And knowing the server it came from will help you in which way?

I've recieved another 4 since I posted yesterday.. Stupid fools! Andrew - it will make you feel better :)

lol yeah I checked my spam folder and found several more, just had an ebay one this morning too.

"Selling Activity Limit Reached

Alert! Your account may have been accessed by a third party. In an effort to protect your account, we have put a temporary block on bidding, selling and the ability to send messages to other eBay members until we can safely restore your account to you.
Please
to go to our Account Security Test service."

LOL! I haven't sold anything for about a month, they really must think people are stupid! So my selling limit has been reached ( yeah whatever) and my account has been accessed by a 3rd party! ( hmm lol )

Kev

Back