flywheels

CMF_Bushido

» CMF Member
Im currently converting my NCVT to MT and wonder about performance flywheels. looking at JUN flywheels and they cost around 6 times more than the stock flywheel. just wondering if the extra gains are worth the money?

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
from reports of other people there is a deffinate difference between standard flywheel and lightweight one. lighter the fly wheel the less weight the motor has to turn so it can spin quicker.
you will most certainly feel a benefit, just is cost worth the benefit.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I don't think the JUN flywheel is an overly good idea for street use either.

The ideal weight for a 1.3L micra driven mainly on public roads is around 5.5kg to 6kg imo.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Bushido,

I have the Jun lightweight flywheel in my Micra. I definately recommend it for road use. The car is noticably more responsive than before with the factory flywheel fitted. However, I can easily still crawl along slowly with the motor just idling in stop/start traffic. Fuel economy is also unchanged.... It provides a worthwhile performance gain without any downside.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"I don't think the JUN flywheel is an overly good idea for street use either.<BR><BR>The ideal weight for a 1.3L micra driven mainly on public roads is around 5.5kg to 6kg imo.

No way man - stop waffling Yom, you haven't even owned a micra with one in it. They are brilliant on a street driven micra. A very noticable lift in performance without any downsides. The car feels great with one!

On a big performance k11 it can get a bit hot because its not as thick as the stock flywheel, if you're pushing around 140kw at the wheels through it though. Blue Monster's clutch fingers warped once or twice from too much heat, but always only caused by the driver completely missing a gear and leaving their foot on full throttle without realising at first. I would probably expect the stock flywheel to do the same about 0.5secs later on anyway with that much power running through a micra's drivetrain.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
TBH i think the flywheel is something to get used to....it makes MY car a ****ter to drive in the low revs, theres no torque whatsoever! That could be my tune down low though, but seems to struggle at real low revs in 2nd/3rd gear.

It revs beautifully though. Couldn't really tell the difference performance wise. Never got the car down to the track either.

i can crawl along traffic and everything still..in 1st gear. 2nd gear and below 20km/h = clutching it to get it going.

but thats my experiences with a turbo charged fully managed ecu micra, bigger clutch, etc.. it could be a fair bit different on a standard car.

cisco

» CMF Member
But a flywheel doesn't take away the ability for an engine to generate torque at low rpm. It winds down quicker and will decelerate faster, but as soon as you hit the gas hard again, it will wind up quicker and make torque quicker than a factory flywheel would.

Blue Monster was super smooth at low RPM with its JUN flywheel. The only thing was that if someone isn't used to it, they will stall the car on their first take off because the engine drops revs (loses momentum) so much more quickly. But you get used to that straight away and then you forget it was even like that.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well I don't claim to be an expert like yourself cisco but I guess my research and talking to people who actually work in motorsport and develop these sort of items was all in vain.

(I ended up getting a custom designed 5.6kg billet chromoloy flywheel made by Tighe Cams here in QLD. We will see how it goes soon enough. AND because two were made, the other member shall remain nameless for now unless he wishes to be known, the price was simply unbeatable - lets just say that the money I saved is more than enough to buy a LUK HD clutch, a new rear main crank seal, a carton of beer for the weekend AND pizza delivery for the evening LOL)

It is cheaper to lighten your standard flywheel but you won't get anywhere near the results you'll get by getting a proper lightened flywheel or a JUN flywheel. The standard flywheel is designed to add momentum to the drivetrain and make the car easy to drive. So even if you do manage to skim it down to under 6kg without making it dangerously thin you will still have the issue of the majority of the flywheel's mass being on the outer edges. You want to get the majority of the flywheel's mass into the centre without making it thin enough to be able to dissipate its heat too quickly. (a flywheel is just like a disc on your brakes - overheating it is OK and its designed to get hot and cope with it but if you let it cool down too quickly it can warp/crack/stress fracture etc)

Yeh I could have gone along with what you all say and just buy the JUN but there's absolutely no fun in doing it that way.

CMF_gu_niang1200

» CMF Member
anyone ever tried whats the diff from the 3.4kg flywheel then the 4.3kg jun flywheel.. i saw this specs in mulholland.. they are suing 3.4kg.. well jun flywheel compared to stock do makes a difference.. i drove my friend's car it really is light..

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Run a JUN flywheel in Hack and a Datrats one in White Knight.
Agree totally with Cisco. A worthwhile upgrade for sure.You end up with a more revvy resposive engine and more performance. Less strain on the engine, less weight to move around etc.
IMO its worth the money.I would go for an after market one. You can lighweight the stock one but be very very careful it is done by someone who knows what they are doing.

CMF_Bushido

» CMF Member
Thanks alot for the reply's. I have decided to go with the JUN flywheel. I think in the big picture it is well worth the extra money. It is the last item on the list to buy, will be getting the converstion under way this weekend or as soon as the flywheel comes.
thanks again for the advice!

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
i have a stock lightened flywheel.. about 2kg lighter- wouldn't recommend going more than an extra 1kg than this.... to much to go wrong.... and yes makes a huge difference.... the car actually has some throttle response... but if the gearbox needs to be opened again an aftermarket flywheel will go straight on.... there, my 5c

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
CG13DE flywheel weights 8.6kg with the silly centre spacer.

CG10 flywheel on pre 2000 or 1998 (cant remember) UK made k11 is smaller and lighter than the cg13 flywheel. On the 2000 (or 1998 and newer, cant remember) it is the same as the cg13 I think.

Back