Fixing 6x9s to parcel shelf

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
I've never had this problem before but obviously the Genesis are too heavy for the MDF underside (reinforcement) of the shelf... so basically the screws fell out and it literally looks like someone has ripped it out... there it was dangling helplessly in the boot... so I take it screws were a bad idea?

How have other people fixed theirs on? Bolts and nuts? I can't seem to find any bolts with a flat head... so I could screw the nut from the underside of the shelf and the bolt head could be counter-sunk or covered by carpet etc.

Any ideas? I'm looking hard for these bolts.. and I don't want to compromise sound or have huge bolts i.e. too long.

Thanks.

I dont see what the problem is, you cant screw them properly? The best thing you can do is cut holes for each speaker and put them through the holes, with the lip over the top of the shelf to take their weight...

I dont see what the problem is, you cant screw them properly? The best thing you can do is cut holes for each speaker and put them through the holes, with the lip over the top of the shelf to take their weight...

I think he's screwed the speakers to the underside of the parcel shelf. Gurpreet, as Retepetsir says the speakers should be mounted on the top surface of the shelf.

not on a stealth shelf.... they sit on the underside so you can cover the hole with carpet... whats the point in having a stealth shelf if you gonna put the speakers on top of the shelf anyway?

you are still FAR better mounting the speakers with the lip on top of the stealth shelf...just counter sink the speakers into the MDF. If they are attatched underneath, then you've got gravity against you, if they are on top then the gravity is working for you. And yes...I would bolt them rather than screw them..especially if you are desperate to mount them from the underside.

easy just get some speaker clips put them on the bottom of the speakers and scre through the top of the wood just need some long screws that way they carnt rip the screw out

Yes I had them screwed to the underside... with the screw head facing the boot... Rep et al. after 2 hours yesterday... of measuring... chamfering and rebating with the router... I managed to get the bevel etc. correct so they sit plush on the top side and don't fall through... I changed to 1/2" thick MDF... and screwed them in from the top side... carpet was in pretty good condition so spray-glued it back on. I didn't have a router before... let alone know what one is... always used a jigsaw.

Cheers lads.

Back