Parcel shelf speaker K11 thoughts...

Going to sort out a new head unit later this month and have found what I presume are the connectors for rear speakers after following directions in another thread... now decision time:

1. Put some Alpine 6X9s into the parcel shelf, possibly with some dynamat as the shelf seems a little flimsy. Will need to replace connectors and find a suitable substitute but otherwise simples

2. Wait until a decent original parcel shelf with speakers comes up in this area. Could be next week, could be next year... could be crap when I get it and still have to change speakers...

3. Keep original shelf in shed. Somehow fashion a replacement from mdf, cover with material and back with dynamat. Could look and sound awesome. Could look like a badly fitted, amateur DIY pile of ****... Will probably need a spare parcel shelf for fitting bit things anyway...

Any thoughts? I spend at least two hours a day in this car and after two years of Micra's am fed up with just the two door speakers...

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I find the standard shelf speakers "okay" but perfectly acceptable. A little flat compared to my 6.5" Sony's up front but make the sound experience much nicer than with just fronts alone.

If you're not after mega bass but want some more clarity and a little bass, then get some aftermarket 6" speakers :)

OP
OP
jackmcd
Just did a bit of a Google and read - never realized how many hot debates there are over 6x9 versus 6" - loads of technical stuff but I liked this concluding point I found

to get great sounding oval speakers you have to spend allot of money. You can buy a huge number of round speakers that are dirt cheap and just as good in comparison but generally(excursion, motor strength, etc.... are limiting factors) will have less lower frequency output or extension.

OK - Perhaps I should change my first option to round speakers...

Going to sort out a new head unit later this month and have found what I presume are the connectors for rear speakers after following directions in another thread... now decision time:

1. Put some Alpine 6X9s into the parcel shelf, possibly with some dynamat as the shelf seems a little flimsy. Will need to replace connectors and find a suitable substitute but otherwise simples

2. Wait until a decent original parcel shelf with speakers comes up in this area. Could be next week, could be next year... could be crap when I get it and still have to change speakers...

3. Keep original shelf in shed. Somehow fashion a replacement from mdf, cover with material and back with dynamat. Could look and sound awesome. Could look like a badly fitted, amateur DIY pile of ####... Will probably need a spare parcel shelf for fitting bit things anyway...

Any thoughts? I spend at least two hours a day in this car and after two years of Micra's am fed up with just the two door speakers...

Im selling my rear parcel shelf that has original micra speakers built in, the shelf is in black, it was up on ebay a few weeks ago? Im from birmingham btw

OP
OP
jackmcd
Would love to buy it mate - but I am in Salisbury... There was another one on ebay I saw near clapham junction for £20 - cheap as chips. By the time you add on petrol or train fares though...

OP
OP
jackmcd
Generally with all audio... you get what you pay for.

Not sure that applies if the money was spent on petrol collecting the item... Looking for how to get the best sound - the speakers will most likely be alpine, but how to fit - standard shelf, wait for an OEM speaker shelf, or go mdf... thoughts?

MicraPRO

Part Of The Furniture
Not sure that applies if the money was spent on petrol collecting the item... Looking for how to get the best sound - the speakers will most likely be alpine, but how to fit - standard shelf, wait for an OEM speaker shelf, or go mdf... thoughts?
Ill get some pics of how mine looks for you Ive gone with 6x6 on the shelf... used old pioneers I had laying about soon to be replaced with Vibe like the front :)

I know what you mean, I waited ages for an OEM shelf with speakers but was well worth it, they do make so much difference! I'm sure it's easily achievable with off the shelf speakers too, maybe even better? I'd say get a standard shelf from a scrappy, cut some holes in, reinforce it & buy the best speakers you can afford to fit to it. As others have said, you can get really good quality speakers for not a lot of cash & in my opinion (which isn't worth anything) there's not a huge amount of difference between 6" & 6"x9" at budget prices. Tge differences only really become apparent when you start comparing really expensive, high quality products... Just go with the best you can afford without going overboard... Keep us all posted... :)

OP
OP
jackmcd
Managed to get a stock shelf with speakers for £20. Havent got it yet but plan is to use as it comes till funds allow, then use as a base to upgrade... Full plan and pics to follow :)