Fitting Front Spring

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
can you use the same compressors used for the rear springs? or is it possible to remove them without having to use compressors?

any advice would be massively appreciated :)

thank you

Tom

###### lol

i cant afford a compressor... ok thank you :)

yeah it says in the haynes manual i need a "nissan" or box spanner? whats that?

it's to get the top bracket off. There's 2 little clips on the metal bit, bend these back and you can take the metal cover off.

_44644_143797.jpg

You can do it with a very deep one of these, and hold the top with mole grips.

Spring Compressors can be had off ebay for £10

ok cool :)

thanks mate,

would any tool shop stock those things?

i'll get the compressors from there then :)

you dont need spring compressors atall, ive changed my springs a few times and never used them, if you put pressure on the top when taking the bolt off it just loosens and jumps up so you need 2 be redy for it, but there not nessisary, just easier.

Great!

There are ways that it can be done without spring compressors, I have first hand experience of what can go wrong even with compressors! It's not safe, and wouldn't recommend trying it, do the job properly, risking injury is not worth a lower car.

haha i'm glad your enjoying it :)

i will be after one again soon,

i think your right so i will get hold of some, especially if i'm planning on putting lower springs on again in the future,

just skint lol

a way of remove the front spring without the compressor is to use the cars weight.

basically you undo the damper shaft nut at top of the strut whilst the cars on the ground (cars weight keeps the spring compressed),
jack up the car onto axel stand (unloads the spring, damper shaft separates from the top cup and wheel/hub drops),
replace spring,
make sure spring and damper shaft is aligned with the top cup whilst very slowly lowering the car till the top cup meets and compresses back on the spring,
tighten back the damper shaft top nut.

with the struts still on the car and the car on the floor you can use the cars weight to undo the top nut then jack the car up and take off teh necessary bolts and then put your new spring in and drop it down again make sure you get the strut through the hole then tighten the nut back up all using the cars weight

can talk you through it on msn if you like

x3 on the Pollyp method. Just an added tip: When reassembling use something to keep the damper shaft fully extended, like a pliers on the shaft base or something like this. If not, the shaft will come in and you won't be able to tighten the nut.
Been there done that. ;)

Back