Question: Oil Catch Tank fitting

Hi

Need urgent advice. Rallying on the 26th April ( this Sat) and even though my car passed its log booking in Feb/March I have just found out I now need to fit Catch tank. I did see one article on here about it but I am still confussed. I have a Matt Humphries air in take and just bought a 1 litre catch tank with three connectors. I know one pipe should go from the right side of rocker cover to the tank but am a bit confussed with the pipe from the crankcase to the left side of rocker cover. Someone said I still may have to tsp into the airbox, but I might have well just stuck the pipe in from the rocker cover and kept a closed loop system if I was going to do that.

Please help, any photos would be handy since I only have days to sort.

Regards
Peter

Hopefully someone else can help who's done it but I'd suggest teeing the breather outlets on the engine together and running them to one of the catch track inlets. Put a filter on the catch track outlet and block of the third hole (no idea why it should need three...).

Good luck anyway.

It sounds like the way Matt Endean has done his but I cant see what happens to existing pipe that seems to come from the inlet manifold to the pcv on the rocker cover.

Regards Peter

the pipe from the pcv is full manifold vacuum peter, you would need to block that pipe if you plumb your catchcan to the pcv

Hi Frank

I have attached Matt's picture below. Sorry I am no mechanic but are you saying that the normal hose that goes from under the carb to the PCV valve on the left of the rocker cover is blocked off and is set up like Matt's or since mine has three connectors can have two separate hoses to the catch can one from the left and the right of the rocker cover?

BjHzGzJIYAAkrk3.jpg:large

yes he will have blocked that pipe that goes under the mani mate, the oil fumes pass through a sophisticated separator under the cam cover, and any remaining fumes exit out of the pcv into the mani (and are burned)
the pipe on the nearside is just a vent/breather basically :)

Hi Frank & Matt

Well my Catch Tank arrived today, could have made one out of alu drinks bottle or bought a cheap one but time is limited and would hate for some scrutineer to say "it's to small", so bought regulation sized 1 litre tank from JJC rally with express delivery. Have plumbed it slightly different because I have two connections. Do you think it is Ok like this? or is there a need to tee one pipe to the other as in your pic Matt.

20140423_181021.jpg

Thanks Frank your advice has been invaluable, I would have hated to have been stopped from racing and loosing out on my £285 quid entrance fee for nothing.

Peter

Back