Fitting a Turbo Timer

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
Ok ive just fit my Greddy Full Auto Timer, works grand, but there are features which i cannot use untill its hooked up to a "speed Sensor" (in the ECU?). Im not sure my car has an ecu, it was a 1 litre, then i got the 1.2 put in from an ECC car but the ECC was chucked out...
Is ther any other way i can work it? Maybe connect it to the coil where i hooked up my rev counter?

Turbo timer? Is your car a turbo then?

I must have missed something!

Speed sensor, try connecting a wire on the distributor??? I know thats the case with a K11 anyway :)

The normal K10s don't have a speed sensor. However, the ones that have an ECU and all the other crap also have a speed sensor which is in the dash, connected into the speedometer. It uses a hall effect sensor, which I would presume gives out a frequency proportional to speed, and I think the turbo timer can deal with that. You can easily swap the dash over if you don't have one now.

Hi Kev matey,

You need an ECU, which K10's don't have unless it's a ST. It would use the electronic speed sensor, and not the speedo cable coming from the top of the box.

I would personally just wire it up straight into the ignition. The whole benefit from a turbo timer is for the turbo to have chance to cool down so you're not cutting the oil feed to it after giving it a good thrashing. I have a HKS turbo timer installed on my K10, which just simply gives a pre-determined count-down once the key is taken out of the ignition. :)

-Elliot

Actually, as Andrew said, the Super S's have a speed sensor, it is the wire coming out just next to the speedo cable socket on the rear of the dial cluster (I took mine out and gave it to Ed, lol). If that was still connected to a Super S, it would go into the ECC unit.

I don't think you'll need the ECU - just the sensor in the speedo. It will produce pulses that are proportional to speed, and the Greddy timer allows you to calibrate it to anything by driving at 40km/h.

The Super S that Mike owned had an ECU (why, I don't know, as it was still carbed, and the mapped ignition doesn't really seem that far off from what the vacuum and weights do in a normal distributor). It's the ECU that Ed looked at in fact.

Though from looking at the manual for the timer, it seems like a lot of effort to gain very little.

Well it only took a few mins to wire it up to the ignition so its not a lot of effort at all! Plus i enjoy doing things like that so its all good!
I just know the TT has extra features and i love gadgets so want to be able to use it!
There are 2 wires that need to be connected, one says it has to go to a 12v wire at the handbreak... the other to the speed sensor.
What would be the easiest way to connect to a speed sensor.. find a speedo from a micra that has an ECC or something? I dont want to have to swop over the whole dash! But andrew, you also said "If you dont have one now", how would i know if i have one now? I know that at the back of my speedo is a cable, not a wire but i also have the 2 blocks either side.... its a facelift car, 1992... any ideas?

Thanks a lot for all the replies im getting! Much appreciated!

kev_mono72 said:
What would be the easiest way to connect to a speed sensor.. find a speedo from a micra that has an ECC or something? I dont want to have to swop over the whole dash! But andrew, you also said "If you dont have one now", how would i know if i have one now? I know that at the back of my speedo is a cable, not a wire but i also have the 2 blocks either side.... its a facelift car, 1992... any ideas?

You'll have the speed sensor if you have an ECU, which is a big metal box under the passenger seat. All the speedos are driven by a cable, but on the ones with a speed sensor, in addition to the two connector sockets that do the indicators, there will also be a wire with a connector on it. That would be the speed sensor.

You can just swap the instrument panels over, not the whole dash. You need to re-solder the connectors, but IIRC, the colours are all the same. I think there is a guide on here as well.

Andrew said:
kev_mono72 said:

You'll have the speed sensor if you have an ECU, which is a big metal box under the passenger seat. All the speedos are driven by a cable, but on the ones with a speed sensor, in addition to the two connector sockets that do the indicators, there will also be a wire with a connector on it. That would be the speed sensor.

You can just swap the instrument panels over, not the whole dash. You need to re-solder the connectors, but IIRC, the colours are all the same. I think there is a guide on here as well.

the colours aint all the same andrew unfortunatly. but they are all very simple to understand. i need to make an addition to that guide aswell so that you can upgrade still to the super S dials. for the rev guage for example!!!

Quicky - It originally was a 1992 Micra L 1 litre...

Andrew - I have a small metal box under my passenger seat, ive been told its an idle controler...

As far as i know at the rear of my guages thers just the 2 blocks and speedo cable. If i was to get the guages from an ECC car, would i just have to rewire the 2 blocks and plug the speedo cable in? But then where would the speed sensor come from?

You want to be looking for dials with a wire coming out of the hole in this picture:
[attachment=1035]

(Sorry about the pic quality, only had my phones camera with me)

Ah ok, i get it now, the cable turns the speedo which sends an electronic signal!
Thanks! I'll be on the look out for those dials!

quickdraw said:
the colours aint all the same andrew unfortunatly. but they are all very simple to understand. i need to make an addition to that guide aswell so that you can upgrade still to the super S dials. for the rev guage for example!!!

Yeah, they are similar enough to make it a quick job (like less than an hour from start to finish). Adding the colour stuff to the guide would be good though, I didn't bother writing it down though.

well the colours that are on the guide are the colours on the cables!!
top colour being the primary colour and the second being the secondary!!

RE: RE: Fitting a Turbo Timer

kev_mono72 said:
There are 2 wires that need to be connected, one says it has to go to a 12v wire at the handbreak... the other to the speed sensor.

The wire which goes to the handbreak, is so that when you leave the car and the timer is running... if somebody broke in and took the hand-brake off, it will shut the engine down. :D I haven't wired mine in yet as my HKS one didn't come with any instructions, and I couldn't find any as it came off a Supra Twin turbo. :(

-Elliot

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 248
Aw cool, thats handy! better than relying on the steering lock, because then it can be drivin into whatever is behind/infront of it! I must get those guages and wire the handbreak wire up too! is there one wire or 2 at the handbreak as i havnt had the chance to whip it off and have a goo (look)...

Oh, and as for the instructions, i imported my GReddy TT from japan, so all the instructions and manual are in japanese, i had to go to the US site and luckly i found a PDF file of them in english! Just brought the laptop out to the car with me and followd them from there, was handy enough!

Ok well thanks a lot for all your help, im buying marks dials from the Super S he is breaking, he showed me a wire coming out of the rear of the speedo so that must be it!
Ill let you all know when i get it and wire it up!

Back