Fitting a CD player

Scott Cruz

Ex. Club Member
Hey people,

I have a K11 Shape with what I think is the standard radio cassette player fitted.

I want to stick a CD player in there to replace it. Nothing fancy, just something cheap off ebay to play cds for the time being.

Ive never tried to put in or fix a car stereo before, so i was just looking to get an idea of whats involved incase I blow myself up.

From what i gather reading bits and bobs online, my stereo should have a bunch of wires all connected at the other end in some kind of plug thing.

The new stereo should be the same.

All I have to do is pull out my unit and unplug it. Then plug in the new unit and slip it into place.

Is that right?

MacMicra

Deactivated Account
If your cd player has the same conector block you will be fine and your theory will be correct. however like me it was totally different. Kenwood head unit. had to buy a haynes manual because the colours are different in the micra to the colours in the kenwood. so had to sit down and cross referance so that i new for example. that the micra red wire would go to the kenwood blue. then the conector block in the kenwood was diferent to the conector block in the micra. so had to buy new conector blocks. you could jst wire together and cover with tape but i wanted it done properly. so once i worked out colour of wire to to other wire i attached the connecor blocks to the back of the kenwood then attached then sorted.

ps........ had my dad helping me aswell hahahaha

OP
OP
Scott Cruz

Scott Cruz

Ex. Club Member
If your cd player has the same conector block you will be fine and your theory will be correct. however like me it was totally different. Kenwood head unit. had to buy a haynes manual because the colours are different in the micra to the colours in the kenwood. so had to sit down and cross referance so that i new for example. that the micra red wire would go to the kenwood blue. then the conector block in the kenwood was diferent to the conector block in the micra. so had to buy new conector blocks. you could jst wire together and cover with tape but i wanted it done properly. so once i worked out colour of wire to to other wire i attached the connecor blocks to the back of the kenwood then attached then sorted.

ps........ had my dad helping me aswell hahahaha

Crap! lol grr

I was hoping I wasnt gona have to do anything as drastic as that.

Does anyone know if theres a brand out there where the wire colours and connector blocks are a straight match?

Bash1989

Ex. Club Member
i had this problem ,go to halfords and get an adapter cable for about £13 it will plug straight on that wat i did

OP
OP
Scott Cruz

Scott Cruz

Ex. Club Member
This adapter cable...

Will it allow me to do the original plan of just popping out the old one, unplug it, plug in the new one (via the adapter cable) then pop the new one in?

And is it a universal adapter or would i buy it specifically for the car, or specifically for the brand of head unit?

Thanks.

Bash1989

Ex. Club Member
i h8 halfords bt i didnt have the net at the time lol, yeah as long as you find an adapter cable for a micra ,the primera has the same connections

Alfonze

Ex. Club Member
depending whqat cd player you have you will need a harness and a a ariel adaptor which is not more than £5 for the pair posted on ebay. I fitted a cd player to a prefacelift and a facelift its pretty much the same.

Gezzard

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
When i changed mine I had to get the PC2-13-4 iso adapter and one for the aerial too, as said dirt cheap on ebay.

You do have to take off the middle part of the dashboard and the radio is held in with 4 screws, simple really.

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Really easy.

You'll need an ISO adapter, so your standard Nissan wiring will fit into ISO compliant head units (basically all of them), and then my head unit had an ISO to Pioneer harness. And an aerial adapter, which is about 99p.

The biggest trouble I had was actually mounting the head unit it. I coudn't find anything for the cage to clip into, the and the screwholes on the Nissan mounts didn't line up with my head unit holes. So I just ended up using one screw on each side, instead of the two.

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Just be careful I bought a CD player off ebay worked fine on a warm day but in the mornings it's c**p and needs to warm up (15-20minutes) I personally would buy a new one or off a friend.

OP
OP
Scott Cruz

Scott Cruz

Ex. Club Member
Just be careful I bought a CD player off ebay worked fine on a warm day but in the mornings it's c**p and needs to warm up (15-20minutes) I personally would buy a new one or off a friend.

Its begining to sound a bit like a mine field to me! :grinning:

I can hold my own when it comes to bodykits and the like, but electronics are not my thing.

I think I might just take the car to an audio shop, get a head unit off them and have them fit it for me.

Tho I gota admit, I dont like the idea of having another man touch my car up... feels dirty! :eek: