First post, hello all! Blown motor/interchange info

T

trevor72

First, I'd like to say wow, this is the best source of info I've ever found on these cars. I'm in Canada and you may remember me, way back, in the old forum, my login was girlfriend's mechanic (occational poster).

To the point: After having struggled with my girlfiends '87, I had pretty much given up tying to tune it (carb related maybe - stalls when slowing sometimes, and runs crappy sometimes, run-on when shut off sometimes... we just accept it the way it is with the idle slightly turned up so as to avoid stallling as much!) BTW it's Auto.

My latest crazy thinking comes curtosy of a cruise around downtown. I've found another K10! Red 2D, standard gearbox, decent shape, 198xxx km, on the odometer. May be able to get it cheap, possibly free! :) :p

Bad news: has a blown motor, or so one mechanic at the place that owns it says. The car is just sitting outside, unlocked. Originally, I was thinkin, great parts car..., but the thing is it's pretty nice looking. Too nice to throw away after I strip a few bits... So... has anyone ever blown a standard MA10? They seem relatively invincible to me. Maybe he just means it won't run... been there...!

So..Possibility of doing a swap. Here is where you dedicated NISSAN fans come in!!! Can anyone list off a motors that will bolt to the stock manual tranny (I'm assuming it's a 4speed), and possible donor cars?

Also will a carb from a manual k10 work with an auto k10? Just change over the likage? I'd like to see if this might be the problem with my GF's car. Or... anyone know where to get gaskets and such for the hitachi carb?

Just let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Trevor

Lots of MA10 engines have been distroyed - its usually when the cam belt breaks and this causes total engine failure. Engine damage in this case can vary from a bent valve to quite significiant piston valve and head gear damage. Other ways they fail is when they run out of oil once or twice, and then this slowly leads to bottom end failure and they can throw conrods. Engine is a total write off in these cases.

The MA series engines are totally specific to the K10 cars, only very few other bodys have MA engines such as the FK10 (Figaro) and the March Turbo (which is basically a micra anyway). However other engiens which are close ish but will still need fairly large amounts of work to fit is a cherry engine. I have heard also that its possible to fit a cherry engine to a K10 block (if you alter flywheels etc) but have never tried it.

Ed

Your running probs could be down to timing, tappets or points/condenser, had similar on my 86 K10.

Sorry for my nieveness, but what do you mean by tappets?

The car is an '87 and has electronic ignition. IE: no points or condenser.

Thanks though.

Trevor

Or valve clearances as the Haynes would have it :p Wasn't sure if you'd have electronic ignition or not. Oops ;)

Update on Red 2D Micra

Got the keys for it today! And YES! It was FREE!!!!!!!!

Even better news: It doesn't have a blown motor!
Only smokes! Might have been a shop miss-communication. Probably went from 'blow smoke' to 'it's blown'. Anyhoo, on with the story...

Apparently, so the story goes, some guy (the customer) bought this car at an auction, then took the car to this shop, then when he realised the amount of labour, parts.. (ie: $$$$$) it would cost him to have someone else get the car running tip-top again, he just said, "...get rid of it for me." So the Shop's owner was just going to take it to the scrap yard.

I think NOT!!

So, right after receiving the keys to my new baby I tryed cranking it over and it cranks over fine. IE: no smashing of valves into pistons ...etc. But wouldn't start. No surprise. With 198 thousand original kilometers it probably just needs a rebuild.

Well, there isn't any significant body damage, bit of rust on one door, and a bit near one rear tail light. Other than that with a good hour spare time, some turtle wax and elbow grease, she'll be one fine shinny redheaded babe! :D Oh, and all the lights work. Everything is cool, why anyone would give the car away is beyond me. His loss!

Ok on the reality front: has anyone ever rebuilt their MA10? What did you do? Just rings and beraings... valve guides/seals ...or what?

Thanks for the help, guys, and feel free to coment either way. It's all good! As for tappets, cam follower.. whatever, I never thought of that, might pull the valve cover next time I get a chance.

Great forum, keep up the good work!

Trevor

The engine with just new rings and valve oil stem seals should be fine. Those two are the cause of the K10 burning oil. The engine bearings usually last alot longer than the engine itself (unless it ran out of oil at some point in its life)

Ed

Attachments

• Lots of K10s.jpg
    Lots of K10s.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 317
Another update:

Hi all,

Update: It runs, and still hasn't cost a thing yet!

Making ticky noises from the engine (sounds like top end, so probaly tappets as discussed earlier). But all in all it doesn't even smoke that bad. Probably wouldn't pass Emissions Test though.

Here's some more info from the blue tag under the bonnet:

MODEL: HLK10SFNV1

COLOUR: 526K

ENGINE: MA12 (S) 1235

TRANS: RS5F41A

PLANT: FE38

Made in Japan

That is exactly as it is displayed, with the exception of a '5' in the bottom right corner of the blue tag. Didn't think that was anything important.

HHmmm.... My common sense is curious... it is telling me that this is not a MA10, it's a MA12, what's the difference? and hhmmmm again... why does it say '(S)' after the 'MA12'?

Also this is a left hand drive, (as standard in Canada), so why does it say 'made in Japan'? Was it an import? ???

BTW, it has new: fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and plug wires. It also seems to have a different ignition system than my Girlfriend's Micra. It has a smaller coil, and wires coming out of the distributor body. It does run great though, with a few adjustments, it'll be a great car!

Now I get to go to/phone ICBC in N.Vancouver and request a title search, and then on to contact the registered owner and transfer title. I may just have to tell him that I bought it for a pile of $$ from the shop that was holding it, so that he'll sign it over. :)

The difference between the MA10 and the MA12 is 200cc, the 'S' means you've got all the emisions controls.
All K10 Micras were made in Japn so yours is an import. :D

Dunno if you've read other threads, but your "emissions" stuff on the MA12 causes it to be somewhat slower than a standard MA12. Don't know how it compares to a normal MA10. Is the MA10 slower? A lot of people have taken that stuff off their MA12's here but I can't comment on how you do that, and if it's even legal where you are.

Glad the engine is sound though.

My girlfriend;s micra was made in Canada, at least that's what her mom (the one who actually bought it) says. I also thought I recalled seeing a made in canada, tag on it.. maybe we were all ...dreaming!

Back