k10 head gasket blown?

S

scoot

:k10: i think my head gasket has went again i replaced it in august this year after the coolant went a yukky colour not mayo but a dark brown/black colour now its went the same and the expansion bottle keeps filling up to over flowing ive replaced the thermo and rad cap but it still does it do you think i need a new head? or just get it skimmed also when you torque the head down do you have to do it again after say 500 miles or just twice as the manual states? is it wise to replace the head bolts as well ? i dont want to strip it down after ive replaced the head gasket to renew the bolts any info/fee\d back much appreciated thanks

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
you shouldnt need to retorque, but it can be a good idea to leave it awhile between the two stages. Is it overheating or loosing water? If you keep overfilling it it will loose some, but really you need to do a compression test. If its not good then yes youll need to re-fit the headgasket and I would also recommend having both decks skimmed slightly.

OP
OP
S

scoot

you shouldnt need to retorque, but it can be a good idea to leave it awhile between the two stages. Is it overheating or loosing water? If you keep overfilling it it will loose some, but really you need to do a compression test. If its not good then yes youll need to re-fit the headgasket and I would also recommend having both decks skimmed slightly.

hi its not overheating just fiiling up the expansion bottle till it over flows and after its cooled down i have to take off the radcap and refill the the rad the water doesnt seem to be returning to the rad i have to do this manually and also the coolant pipes are hard after ive stopped what do you mean by both decks how do you skim the barrels with out taking the engine out ?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
How much water are you having to add to the radiator. It will never be totally full as it needs some room for expansion. So it will push it out of the expansion tank if you over fill it.

The pipes will also be hard after you have driven it. The system is pressurised to around 0.9bar.

If the head and block decks are warped then you would have to take the engine out as well.

Andrew

Club Member
It's fairly easy to check the head and block for warping - get a decent straightedge (which isn't a ruler) and a set of feeler gauges, then check straight along and on both diagonals. I don't know what the maximum warpage is, but for Primera it was about 5 times more than I thought it should be (according to the Nissan manual).

OP
OP
S

scoot

head gasket blown?

How much water are you having to add to the radiator. It will never be totally full as it needs some room for expansion. So it will push it out of the expansion tank if you over fill it.

The pipes will also be hard after you have driven it. The system is pressurised to around 0.9bar.

If the head and block decks are warped then you would have to take the engine out as well.

hi i usually have to add about the same distance from the minimum level to max i take off the rad cap and expansion bottle cap and hold the expansion bottle up so as the coolant drains back into the rad down the small pipe till its level with the bottom of the rad filler neck

Andrew

Club Member
It was a P11. I was just surprised how large it was - most engine building stuff I read gave a much smaller figure for even a normal rebuild.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Scoot that doesnt sound that bad. Leave it for a day and see if it looses any more if it doesnt I think you may be a bit too worried for nothing.