Finally! A MICRA! But a Problem! What do you guys/gals think it is?

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
hi all. finally gave up looking for a super s and bought an lx. I bought it off the auctions and got it at a good price cos it wasnt running. i dont think the problem is big. here is what the add read:

1995 Nissan Micra Hatchback, low kms, always under cover, one lady owner since new, air conditioned, no rust, great fuel consumption, brilliant glossy red duco, body panels in top condition, have bought a newer car so need to sell, current electrical problem prevents car being driveable, looking for mechanical or electrical genius to purchase for fixing or to buy for spare parts etc

here are some the questions posted to the owner.

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: hEELO is the car registered? what is the electrcal problem. and where is car located? very interested ... awaiting reply
24-Oct-05
A: Hi, I live at Avalon , 25 mins north of Manly......My local Garage said it is probably the map sensor as he put new spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter 2 weeks ago but didnt bother as I have been given a car from my Aunt . Thanks for your intrest........ Rego ran out last week.........

Q: hi very interested in micra , what is the reserve? , how do you know it is elect prob has some one told you ? if so does car have spark or does it not crank over? thanx .
24-Oct-05
A: Hi Seznmic, The reserve has been met and was told by my local Garage that this is the likely problem . It sertinly starts and drives but dies after 1km. Last week I had spark plugs , fuel filter and air filter replaced . It feels as if no fuel is getting to it ....I was given a car to me by an Aunt so didnt bother reregistering it as it ran out the week I had the problems. Hope this helps with your decision.....

Q: hi when you say it over heats is that the sensor indication on the dash or is it steam coming out of the radiator. cheers ross
29-Oct-05
A: Hi Ross The presumption is that it is heat related, because the problem only occurs after about 2 to 3 kms, when the engine has heated up. There is no engine overheating, boiling or the like Thanks Googs

Q: When y ou say electrical problems, what do you mean by that exactly? what happened? was it water affected, was it stolen and recovered??? etc.. Thanks, Zak.
27-Oct-05
A: Hi Zak , Dont know exactly what the problem is but took the car to my local mechanic (drove there) and he wasn,t quite sure either but as he replaced oil and fuel filters and spark plugs so thought it might be the map sensor or altinator. It will drive a klm and then it is if it overheats and is starved for fuel .......Sorry but being a female and know nothing about cars , this is as far as I can help you .thanks Claudette

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
chris

cisco

» CMF Member
Firstly, micras don't have MAP sensors. They have Air Flow meters (hot wire sensor).

My first thing would be to do the throttle body soldering guide as in the technical articles section of this site. That's a really common problem that makes k11's stall intermittently.

Give it a few drives and do some more testing for exactly what happens. Can it start back up straight away after it stalls? Or does it then need to sit there for a while until it will start again?

It would probably really help to plug it into a Nissan Consult unit and see what it says.

cisco

» CMF Member
I.e. you could take it to a Nissan dealer to get them to see what's wrong with it. Then once you know, if you can fix it cheaper yourself or through your mechanic, then you might want to do that.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Congrats on buying an LX the lightest of the Micra family.
Bit hard to pinpoint but hate to say this I would take it to a Nissan dealer and let them plug into the ECU for starters.
This wil narrow it down somewhat.
If it is the throttle body its an easy fix as per excellent step by step instructions on this site. It works.
Hope you have plans for many upgrades so you can keep all those SuperSs honest. You already have a weight advantage.

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
i asked my engine builder (for the rb26), i explained the symptoms to him and he said the same thing. the crank angle sensor. He says (im assuming happens in the rb26) that when the crank angle sensors are faulty and overheat, the go into a protection or shutdown mode. is this true? if it is the afm or crank angle sensor, what are they worth? does anyone here think its a big problem?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Yep its still the AFM inside the TB so it must be the eluisve GA15DE AFM/TB.

Okay, how about you fit all your funky gear and see if that fixed the problem?

Then you can narrow it down to internal sensors in the engine... :)

Mabye I'm just being a bit eager to see what the march cup package does to the humble little micra. lol

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
ok guys/gals, i need more help! ok.... this is what ive done. i bought a dizzy and it seemed to fix the problem of idling. it wont stall now so thats a start. the car will idle properly until warm, and then once warm, when i hold my foot on the accelerator pedal at a particular rev, the revs go up and down. i am unable to hold a specific rev, its as if you are stabbing the accelerator. when i drive the car, the car will move but it will JERK quite aggressively. would it be the throttle body and air flow meter? i seem to remember my gtr doing the same kind of thing when the airflow meter went in that. Now the micra doesnt stall but jerks really aggressively. like i said, the plugs are new, i tried another set of leads, what usually happens when the afm is stuffed? when do you need to resolder or buy a new one? the kit i got with the computer, dizzy etc, came with a loom as well. the throttle body does not have a afm built in. i was wondering that if i were to install this new throttle body, wiring loom, the nismo computer etc, what would it use for the afm? what are they roughly worth second hand? where can i find one in brissy? ive been to capalaba wreckers. please help

Back