fiberglassing

richmicratwista

Direct Detailing UK
i am goin to hav a crack at smoothin a splitter onto rear bumper

just really want any general advice tips before i start also how many layers would you recomend i use

depends on how you want to look but you need a good thinkness for strength but if you rivey / bolt it loads it'll have enough strength there.

Pics of AndyS's
http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/28.DSC00109.JPG
http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/24.DSC00110.JPG
http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/26.DSC00023.JPG
Last pic is the inside and you can see a bolt, use loads.
As you can see his looks great so fibreglass would be just additional strength.

Here's what his would look like moulded
http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/14.JAE2004%20033.jpg

ha ha cheers Goldstar :) never had my work done on car called great :D hehe

all depends on if its worth smoothing. Just be careful if u actually end up hitting the splitter on the floor or kerb etc as its low and might rip the whole thing off and make a mess. Hence why mine aint smoothed as mines actually very low hehe

To be honest I've got a reasonable amount of experience with fibreglass and I definately wouldn't recommend fibreglassing the outside of your car if you haven't done anything before.

Definately have a go at building some other stuff before you work on the outside of the car, the pro's are paid a #### load for a reason! Sub enclosures, custom kick pods, etc etc....

Lewis is right though, fibreglassing is another skill that needs to be developed, I've been using b/g for a while now and still not perfect, it's be worth doing it to a spare bumper, worst case would be the splitter is ruined.
Using a spare would give you the time needed to shape the glass.

If you're in no hurry, soon as I get hold of one of the splitters I'm going to attempt it, pics and a guide will be coming.

But I do recommend finding something to practise on.

i used the self mix and used the resin with the matting and then added two matting layers... once dried ai smoothed and then added pre mix paste but you need to add the hardener... then i smoothed and put thin layer of primer on then do final detail :)

goldstar0011 said:
Lewis is right though, fibreglassing is another skill that needs to be developed, I've been using b/g for a while now and still not perfect, it's be worth doing it to a spare bumper, worst case would be the splitter is ruined.
Using a spare would give you the time needed to shape the glass.

If you're in no hurry, soon as I get hold of one of the splitters I'm going to attempt it, pics and a guide will be coming.

But I do recommend finding something to practise on.

After so many replies encouraging the fibreglassing I was expecting flamed......what a nice surprise!

Important note as the bumper is plastic is to remove all paint from the area and really rough up the bumper too. I plan to cut some small slots so the fibreglass goes to other side. From what I know f/g has trouble adhering to plastic unless really rough.

Lewis - I'm glad to see relivant and helpful replies too

when i roughened my k10 grill i used some scissors to make lines and some very rough sand paper only because i couldnt get in to make any holes in it, the making holes in it is the best way to do it though

i gotta get rid of that dent sooooo :D :D :D haha i think ill have a go at fiberglassing the dent so its smooth :D haha

andy can see this being a even more "write off" haha

i wouldn't use fiberglass for a dent. knock most of it out from the inside and then use thin layers of body filler to fill the smaller dents.

Yeah Lewis is right. It is very tricky to use fibreglass. I have only done interior stuff with it and it does require alot of practise to get right. Also as someone said make sure the surface is rough so it can adhere to it. Its a skill to master and a tricky one at that as often it doesn't go where you want it to go, and its hard to correct when it does go wrong. Have a practise first and try and get a second bumper to do it on, should help you alot. I will be doing kick panels in mine shortly which should be fun lol!!! :)

Also, if you have knocked the dent out far enough it should only require a skim of filler to get rid of the remaining dents which should only be small. Have a read up about this stuff anyways, there are loads of useful links on the net which will greatly help before attempting anything like this. :) Hope this helps anyways.

Back