Few Small Problems

Ok i got a few small problems i want to fix to get the car in good shape.

The clock on the dash doesn't work, does anyone have a fix for this yet?

My idle is very unsettling, flucuates just over 1000rpm, maybe problem with air flow?

Also when braking the car seems unstable like the car doesnt brake smoothly, it judders down? could this be a warped disc/drum? if you think so how can i find out if its warped?

clock not working= have you checked the fuses ?
idles erratically=air filter clogged,vacume leak,worn s/plugs,incorrect gap,could be compression?
brakes=jack it up put axle stands under it remove front wheels chock rear wheels put it 1st gear let clutch out slowly then look at the discs see if they look warped, if yes replace with new discs and pads,

has your battery been off recently ? if so it needs a number of starts before it starts settling down. Mine was hunting for about 25 starts after that it then settled down and off i was :)

Can the drums become warped?

they can go "oval", but you would feel it through the handbrake too :eek:
the discs dont usually actually warp, but they can get tightspots where they wear unevenly, which you will feel in the pedal, or worn suspension maybe ?

As regards the brake judder -does the judder get worse with increased speed and does it cause a shake throught the steering wheel?If the steering wheel shakes when braking it is the front brakes probably the discs if not try applying the handbrake slowly whilst driving at thirty mph and if you get a judder through the car it is probably distorted rear drums.If you have a friendly mot man ask him to put it through the mot brake rollers it only takes a couple of minutes but it can diagnose the problem +any shortfall in performance-Jon

Back