Small performance boost for cheap!!

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Im sure this is going to sound silly, but i noticed a change in my Micra with this simple change.

Some people hate the Bosch Super 4 spark plugs, but others say theyre fantastic. Im the latter. I decided to get some new plugs as my old ones were looking kind of frail and rusted (!) and was going to go for some platinums. I went to the autoshop, and they had none. Having a good long sigh, i noticed they had some Bosch Super 4's in the right size for the Micra. And ince i was already buying 1/4 of the shop, i threw them in my pile and got them.

I got home and decided to clean a few things aswell.
I popped the Air intake assembly off and looked down it. It was filthy. Not blocked, just kind of dirty looking at the sides. Now obviously, a smooth plastic wall will give better air flow than a dirty plastic wall. Might not be much, but i proceeded. With a small bit of sugar soap at the intake end, i ran a hole thru it, and filled it with some water+soap. held the ends and gave it a big ol' shake. Twice.
If you are going to clean this item, MAKE SURE (!!) its a hot day. Full sun and everything. I emptied as best i could all the water out then gave its a sloppy coat of armour-all and then left it in the mid-day sun to dry. Checking every 5 mins to see if the water had all evaporated. After 10 mins or so, it was done!

I stuck it back on, with my new Super 4's and started the car. It ran. Good. It also ran smoother at idle. Better. Since the car was working, i took it for a spin around the block. It had a bit more grunt going uphill and a bit more springy when launching.

I dont have any kW or 1/4mile times to share, but the vibe was that the car had found a new lease on life. If youve got a standard setup, like me, give it a try and see if it works. Could have just been my old sparkplugs being crap, but they were in pretty good condition when i took them out.

Cleaning = $0 - 15mins
Spark plugs = $35 set of 4 - 5mins

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
eh spark plugs are spark plugs.

i wouldnt bother spending the extra money on iridium plugs or anything like that.

my ngk 7's get replaced every 10000km and cost bout $4 each.

Attachments

• 12581.jpg
    12581.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 39

cisco

» CMF Member
Great to hear your car is going nicer Toma.

Spark plugs on a micra will only give a performance increase if the old ones had problems and weren't working to their potential or were some dodgy ones or didn't have the gaps set correctly etc.

There's a lot of bs about different spark plugs and really expensive ones making a big difference etc. The factory ones are fine. I've had iridium ones etc, couldn't tell any single different. But mine are always replaced regularly, so the current ones never get too worn out.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Amen to that cisco. Couldnt tell the difference between platniums and normal copper plugs with the SR20 (and thats a much higher performance motor than the CG).

All I felt was the usual brand new spark plug zip.

Platniums/iridiums for high stress conditions and engines with hard to reach spark plug arrangements (like V6 Magnas - have to remove whole intake plenum from motor to get to the rear spark plug bank) where the spark plugs have to last a long time.

Back