feul consumption

hey all....again, well i've another little concern to go with my "what's knocking thread" this time it's to do with the fuel consumption! i put a tenner of petrol in it, and the needle is in the red with only 66.5 miles out of that tenner! isn't that a little bad? i dont drive like a loon(not always anyway) not sure if the weather has anything to do with it? i've had bigger cars that had better mpg, i've only had my lil 1.3gx for about a month and the drivers side window has come away from the mechanism, rear window brake light has stopped working,condensation inside the car, that knocking sound from under the car somewhere(mentioned in previous thread) and now what seems to be excessive feul consumpion:down: , i got this car thinking about the low millage 55k, and the famous micra reliability:laugh: i've defended it in resistance to ridicule from people, yet i still love the car and don't want to get rid of it if i can help it. so rant over....any ideas on why my lil micra is so thirsty?? thanks again guys and hopefully no more problems(fingers crossed)

when windows are frozen its easy mistake to use them,putting stress on the mechanism whether electric or manual
you got elec windows?
to shift condensation keep the lever away from recirculate,face blower on feet and screen setting and put it on 3/4 setting blower
then get a comfratble temp and leave it their
fuel consumption maybe a few difrunt things
lambda-coolant sensor are the ones come to mind

Petrol prices have shot up so that tenner isnt really going far

Have you checked the bulb for the brake light?

Condensation happens to almost all cars cold window + hot breath = condensation

Going on your 65.5 miles for a tenner i would loosley estimate(depending on fuel price at the pump) you are getting about 37mpg.. which is average i'd say.. mines a 1 litre and i only average about 39mpg and dont drive it fast.. this is a good calculator keep your reciept and record the mileage..

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

in winter more energy is used when:
1. warming up a cold engine and keeping it warm
(even worse if left idling standstill while you wait for it to heat up before heating the windows up cos that engine's burning fuel that's doing nothing towards the milage. best to wear warm clothes, clear all windows of snow n mist first then start engine for 30sec to circulate oil then try drive away asap)

2. warming up the cabin & windows and keeping them warm

3. longer use of lighting due to shorter daytime

4. wheelspining on icy roads

overall winter is the worst period for economy (except for trackdays :p )

yeh, i,m struggling to get 100 mile / tenner on gas lately, our gas has gone up lately (66p/L) the price tends to be seasonal like derv
i,ve even refitted a stock exhaust cam to try and eke out a bit more economy :eek:

where did u fill up, i tend to find that i get poor economy if i fill up at bp. i normally fill up at shell. nd u get poor economy with supermarket petrol as well.

lil update, 54 miles to the tenner!! getting worse....though this time it's due to the condition called "heavy foot":wasntme:
lights fixed,knocking fixed(previous thread) just the window to do....and the damn tax

first check there's no fuel leaks round the fueltank filler area cos you found the knocking noise to be the filler pipe plastic cover, so someones touched the filler pipe system and maybe forgot to redo the a jubilee clip, leaking fuel.

then check the exhaust lambda sensors working and responding fast enough otherwise the engine'll run too rich.
check the coolant temperature sensor is within spec or it'll make the ecu run in cold-start rich mode
check the airflow meter's within spec or else it could tell the ecu to run richer than normal

then check the exhaust lambda sensors working and responding fast enough otherwise the engine'll run too rich.
check the coolant temperature sensor is within spec or it'll make the ecu run in cold-start rich mode
check the airflow meter's within spec or else it could tell the ecu to run richer than normal

sorry to bring this back up, but how do you go about checking these?

i use the nissan datascan software with a blazt usb consult cable to monitor if sensor readings are working. checking coolant sensors involves dunking em in measured hot water and compare the resistance are in spec with water temp.

Hi pollyp, this nissan datascan ad cables, where is is possible to buy this gear from? and also mate how much is all this plug and play gear?

Cheers

J

http://www.blazt.biz/prices/prices.php

Recommend the usb consult & datascan bundle tis 66euros

I'd first email em to check ur micras year & model is supported cos my 1993 slx that uses the earlier half size ecu wasn't supported but my 1998 slx pre facelift (prob made during transition of the 1st facelift) that has the full size square ecu was supported

http://www.blazt.biz/prices/prices.php

Recommend the usb consult & datascan bundle tis 66euros

I'd first email em to check ur micras year & model is supported cos my 1993 slx that uses the earlier half size ecu wasn't supported but my 1998 slx pre facelift (prob made during transition of the 1st facelift) that has the full size square ecu was supported

Thanks Pollyp, ill give em an email and see what they can do for me then lool...

J

Back