Family too Fat to Work Say 22k of benefits is not enough

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
Link

Philip Chawner, 53, and his 57-year-old wife Audrey weigh 24st. Their daughter Emma, 19, weighs 17st, while her older sister Samantha, 21, weighs 18st.The family from Blackburn claim £22,508 a year in benefits, equivalent to the take-home pay from a £30,000 salary.

The Chawners, haven't worked in 11 years, claim their weight is a hereditary condition and the money they receive is insufficient to live on. Mr Chawner said: "What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the table. It's not our fault we can't work. We deserve more." The family claim to spend £50 a week on food and consume 3,000 calories each a day. The recommended maximum intake is 2,000 for women and 2,500 for men.

"We have cereal for breakfast, bacon butties for lunch and microwave pies with mashed potato or chips for dinner," Mrs Chawner told Closer magazine. "All that healthy food, like fruit and veg, is too expensive. We're fat because it's in our genes. Our whole family is overweight," she added.

Each week, Mr and Mrs Chawner, who have been married for 23 years, receive £177 in income support and incapacity benefit. Mrs Chawner is paid an extra £330-a-month disability allowance for epilepsy and asthma, both a result of being overweight.

Mr Chawner gets £71 a month after developing Type 2 diabetes because of his size. He was on a waiting list for a gastric band last year, but a heart condition made the operation unsuitable. Their daughter Samantha receives £84 in Jobseekers' Allowance each fortnight while Emma, who is training to be a hairdresser, gets £58 every two weeks under a hardship fund for low-income students.

Emma, said: "I'm a student and don't have time to exercise" she said "We all want to lose weight to stop the abuse we get in the street, but we don't know how."

Seriously, what is this world coming too?? :doh:

Its Sick! People like this anoye me okay so even if the fatness is in there "genes" the father not being realted to the mother unless they are some kind of inbreed family, would not have this so called disorder because he will not have the same genes!? Am i correct? So why the hell can he not work?

Unless there was the extraordinarily high coincidence that two people BOTH with the 'fat' gene married and had kids.
Takes the mick though - my boyfriend barely earns 21k gross, and he's a store manager!
Admittedly 22k isn't a lot to feed a family on, but it would be more than enough for a family who genuinely couldn't work.
They shouldn't be using obesity as an excuse to get out of jobs.

Weight is an environmental change, not an inherited condition. There is NO evidence that obesity is in the genes. This girl who said shes a student and has no time to exercise, im sorry but thats bull. When i was in college i had time to go to college, do homework and coursework, run a martial arts club, work out in my own time, work 6 till half 2 on weekends (for a full year without a single sickday) AND spend time with my girlfriend at the time.

Being overweight is a choice! Leave disability pay to people with real problems. Our household income is roughly £20K plus whatever i pay in board. People have problems, these people have issues.

"What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the table"

Seriously, what is this world coming too?? :doh:

Why does that not surprise me, at 24st they must be eating a hell of a lot more than just cereal, bacon butties and microwave pies with mashed potato or chips. I eat WAY more than that most days and im about 12st.

I've got nothing against people who are overweight, as i see the majority of overweight people in the gym, so good on them for at least trying to loose weight, but when they just sit on their arses all day and claim money because they eat so much they cant work, I think it's just ridiculous, it's not like it's a disability.

my partner is on disability for (bpd) and she gets a hell of alot less than that. i get £40 aweek for been her carer which is taken off her disability:( and we spend more on shopping aweek than there do and run a car and 2 kids still at school. he doent look to fat to work :p how do these people do it

they only won't get a job because they know they won't make more then 30k per year! lazy gits, i wish i was on that type of cash for working! :|

everyone that pays TAX PAYS for this type of people who probably haev never worked a honest hard slog in their whole life, im 18 now and i went straight from school into an apprentiship, i love it although when i see INCOME TAX stamped accross my pay slip and i think of these people MY BLOOD BOILS!!

2 rather large chavettes got on the bus with 2 kids only to get off a 1/4 of a mile away, no wonder they're huge, jesus, how lazy can you get?

Weight is an environmental change, not an inherited condition. There is NO evidence that obesity is in the genes.

Being overweight is a choice! People have problems, these people have issues.

That is so flippin' true!

I eat like a Horse sometimes but that depends on what physical work I've done.
All I need food for is to feed the Human machine to do stuff.

Make them run for their money, everytime they want there weekly money, put it up a hill or something so they have to work and exercise for it, in 2 years time they will be thin enough to work...even at their ages!!

Surely it would be cheaper for the government to pay for them all to have a gastric band, and then once they've lost weight they can get a job?

ha 22k of benefits is nothing, wasn't there an article before about a family with about 15 kids earning up to 50k and living in a big luxurious house rented out by the council?

There is NO evidence that obesity is in the genes.

incorrect - there is evidence of genetic links - the OB gene (short for obesity) has been shown to play a role in humans (but so far only about half a dozen familys worldwide have been proven to be obese due to homozygus mutations in this gene)

basal metabolic rate also plays a part, those with higher metabolisms can eat junk all day and never put on weight, they are also more likely to be pyhsically active - those with lower metabolic rates will put on weight much more easily and are less likely to be physically active, hence why obesity ensues....

this family may have a genetic predisposition to obesity, but i doubt its anything that cant be kept in check with a little exercise and will-power...

Thing is,

Their Job IS to be FAT.

If they were not paid for being so large they wouldn't be so big..

If you can get over the Stigma and the name calling in the street. ( Of which I'm sure there is a substantial amount. ) Then its only wealth of health issues to contend with.. Occupations like 'Bin Men', Sewerage Workers, Gypsies, etc etc.. good money I bet.

The bigger you are, The more you get.. Its the Government and its legislation at fault. People will always find a way to get things easier, its a perfectly natural Agenda and it leads to invention and streamlining at its best, and fat people at its worst..

They are a product of our current Softly Softly society.. Bring in some apocalyptic Britain and they would be dead within 2 weeks.

This isn't a cure obviously.. just an example. I think better Legislation is the cure. and harsher Regimes for people like this.

they shouldnt be getting a penny of our money! think about it guys this is all our money that WE work hard for whilst they sit on their FAT arses! give them nothing then they will have to work to live thats basic instincts after all.

i dont see why they should get 22,000 pounds for weighing 22,000 pound. Sends a good message though dont it.. Meet you at maccys!

I refuse to believe in all theories basing genetic mutations and/or inherant genes playing a role in obesity untill i see solid evidence. I have read case reports before on how it COULD be linked, but almost all of them state that it is only a possibility. In fairness it was a while ago and ther could be more conclusive data, which i will be searching for soon (lol).

In my eyes, if parents are fat, their children are fat because their parents feed them higher portions and dont take their kids to exercise. Whereas a more active couple are more likely to be more active with their children. The only genetic link would be as you said RK, basal metabolic rate, and things such as fast twitch (short burst of energy) and slow twitch (long distance related) muscle fibres.

You can be in any shape you want if you make the choice, lazyness is a road to being unhleathy, willpower is a road to a longer, benefit free life

WHO ATE ALL THE PIES? :p
the burgers, fries, chicken nuggets, pizza, kababs, fish suppers, deep fat fried mars bars(yum!) ...
y'all get where im going with this :p

maybe they will all die of heart disease LOL :D

Karma at its best.

*end of tastless joke*

Since they are overweight they are clearly getting TOO MUCH benefit :mad:

Simple way to reduce their weight. Stop handing them so much of our tax money !!! Make them work for their meals. Like we have to.

BG

theres 5 of us in my family on approx 20,000 and can afford to enjoy ourselfs and spend more money on food theres should be chopped down if they only spend 50 a week on food wot the rest go on flat screen tv seen it all before

who wants to come with me and get our tax money back?

i'm up for a pound of flesh lol

im in i hate people who lie to get beifit or who can work but jus claim im ok with the ones who have been made redundant and are trying there hardest to get a job tho

jesus!!!!

I say the fact they fat does not detract from the fact they are lazy tossers sponging of the government - theirs plenty of thin people doing exactly the same thing and its disgusting - I say line em all up give em jobs and if they dont want to work then they can just be incinerated, more oxygen for me :) yay

Back