Failed MOT (Now passed)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
On excessive noise! He drove it into the test bay, revved it and failed it instantly. Didn't even bother doing the rest of the test, so didn't have to pay, but need to get a standard back box fitted for the test. Another £55 down the toilet!

Re-test on Thursday

Don't have time to get down the scrappy mate, otherwise i'd do that. Would still need to fit it too. This MOT place will fit it and then MOT it whilst im at work, it's unfortunatly the only option i had! I've got the hassle of fitting the noisy box back on after the test too, but i'd rather that than no car at all.

He also said it would probably fail on emissions, until i said it doesn't require CATS being a 92. I guess that's something!

A caution to all who have stupidly loud exhausts.

Guess my back box isn't that bad then cos had my first MOT in march and the only thing it failed on was a headlight bulb that needed replacing. But mine only seems noisy if you really push you foot down.

Arnold take it to another mot station. That was on a technicality, most would let that pass, he obviously didnt like you or your car. Also how can it be £55 down the toilet if you didnt have to pay?

Ed

he obviously didnt like you

The bloke i usually take it to, small garage kinda guy, is busy until 4th June. I may wait until then for him to do it. I guess it doesn't make the car unsafe in anyway, so see what you mean by technicality. I'l speak to him and see what he says.

Also how can it be £55 down the toilet if you didnt have to pay?

That's what they quoted for a new rear silencer & fitting. I haven't yet paid, but thats what i will be paying if required to pass.

Why dont you just buy a DB KILLER. they are ment for motorcycles with race cans to help them through the MOT. they will make your car soooooooo quiet!! they are about £15 quid and are so easy to put on and take off

I'm glad they failed it lol. It's embarrasing being in such a loud car. I might actually be able to have a convo with you in it this weekend :p Unless you want to drive a nice k11 with power steering, A/C, comfy seats..................

Where am i gonna find power steering, AC and comfy seats in that amount of time :p

Im told fitting the 4-1 will shut it up abit, so i'l get longlife to make the necessary adjustments to the front pipe to shut the rear box up alot!

I am joking you donkey. Im not sure i fancy driving the banana car, you however are more than welcome to!

I quite like that 1.3 turbo in that other thread, however i very much doubt that's for sale. Anyway, this car is going to pass! i'l get something newer when im 25.

I'm not looking for volume from an exhaust but I am looking for a nice exhaust note, I think this is where most people go wrong.

I asked them to make it "sound sporty" when i go for it, but nice and quiet around town - i ended up with a very loud box! Still quite happy with it, however didn't want to be in situations like this.

Certainly not wanting to get too much attention from the exhaust, the car attracts enough of that anyway!

lol my old k10 was much loader than yours mate blokes obvisouly just being an idiot! take it somewhere else mate. i just ordered a new back box btw £28 delivered save some cash and DIY its a doodle to do IF you have too that is

I haven't got the time to fit it myself bud. MOT has as i found out yesterday has expired so need it sorted ASAP. I spoke to another bloke and he said he'd probably fail it aswell.

Yours was quiet compared to mine! lol, what you on about :p

rimmer urs isnt loud as i couldnt hear you outside when u came round and the 4 - 1 wont make it quieter if nething it will be louder lol

rimmer urs isnt loud as i couldnt hear you outside when u came round and the 4 - 1 wont make it quieter if nething it will be louder lol

I drove carefully and consideratly :p Besides, you have only heard it once. Im sure those at JAE, Donny etc will know what im on about, and nobody knows better than Ems. She's sat in it enough times, poor girl :p

It's loudest RPM is 2000 and 4000, but in general, it makes alot less noise if you can just cruise around with your foot off the accellerator and roll along, which is probably how i parked around yours!

Bloke that changed your tyres said the 4-1 will make it louder too!!

Yeah he did, but i've had others say it'l make less noise as it's more efficient! Anyway, i'l get another silencer thrown in under there which should hopefully quieten her down.

Yeah he did, but i've had others say it'l make less noise as it's more efficient! Anyway, i'l get another silencer thrown in under there which should hopefully quieten her down.

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. It'll be louder.

Oh and Paul, the reason you didn't hear him is becuse he's generally quieter when i'm in the car. He knows he'll get a mouthful otherwise lol!! :)

Did your exhaust come with a removable silencer when you bought it? (piece that fits in the end to 'reduce' the size to that of a standard exhaust)

go into your loft and get some of the fibreglass insulation, shove it down the end of the can, out of sight, it won't stay in there long but it'll pass the MOT.

Take it to another place, this is a joke. They are using the line that the car can be failed if it has anything other than a standard exhaust on it, which is a joke with the world of after market exhausts, and is often ignored. I have heard it (i think) and I didn't particularly think it was loud from memory..

I'm sure he would take it to another garage if he had the time. It's being fitted with a standard box tom though!! His MOT has already ran out so he's a bit pickled lol.

they dont have the facilities to test for DB at an mot station.... this isnt part of the test, howver "excesive" noise is down to the ears of the tester.... so if they have a different tester in at the same garage they could still pass it..

i dunno he jus said thts how loud it was, you will find the older testers see excessive noise a lot more thn the young ones, lol

This is such a tricky decision, because another tester said he'd have to hear it before he could decide, but he cant check it out for another week. As Ems says, it's expired and i really need this sorted. My local mechanic who's done some stuff for me in the past, says he's heard of quite a few people who have a spare exhaust and swap them over when needed. This is also what the MOT test bloke said to me.

Im thinking about getting another full exhaust system made up once my manifold is on. They quoted £189 for a backbox or £250 for the whole lot, so i may just get the whole lot done again for one that doesn't sound as noisy. I could however get a silencer fitted in the front pipe to shut her up. I'l speak to them and see what they recommend.

-----------

Right, she's gone back for it's second test. Fingers crossed!

Haha! I hope it'l be alright. If they change the exhaust, that's one problem bypassed but i guess they could always find (invent) other faults. I don't trust big garages at all.

me either mate, little garages are usually the best i only ever goto a garage by recommendation and i make sure i let them know that. still failing a car for noise is a joke.... im sure she'll be fine mate its a very clean car underneath you should under seal it again some time worth the time :)

Yeah was going to get round to that soon! Weather hasn't been that great though.

Lol. Im sure with a bit of work, it will be alright. Does Paul still have that modified Janspeed? You could fit that to it aswell.

yup already getting that back mate, as well as my old steering wheel and the new wishbones i bought ages back lol, never thought id find another body kit so quick but then this is me :p

Right back from the garage. They've changed the exhaust, and oh boy, it looks SO crap as standard!! Haven't done the MOT yet as they're running behind. He says the handbrake will be an advisory though (predicted that). Fingers crossed she pulls through, otherwise Yaris T sport here i come lol.

Don't you do it inside the rear drums?

---

It's passed! with 8 advisories lol, which are:

1) Windscreen has damage to an area less than 40mm, outside zone A

2) Offside rear brake pipe slightly corroded

3) Centre brake pipe slightly corroded

4) Nearside front brake hose slightly deteriorated

5) Offside front brake hose slightly deteriorated

6) Hand brake travels too far

7) Fuel pipe corroded

8) Oil leak

Recorded milage - 34890 (lol)

Relieved it's passed. i HATE the exhaust so much though. What's worse is they've used the same mounts which means my exhaust pipe keeps banging against something underneath the car. So rattly!

Flippen eck. U best get that sorted pronto. We'll be taking my car to Thorpe Park!!

if they were that bad, he'd have failed it. He said some of it needs looking at within 6 months, the rest of it will be fine as it is.

Don't you do it inside the rear drums?

---

It's passed! with 8 advisories lol, which are:

1) Windscreen has damage to an area less than 40mm, outside zone A

2) Offside rear brake pipe slightly corroded

3) Centre brake pipe slightly corroded

4) Nearside front brake hose slightly deteriorated

5) Offside front brake hose slightly deteriorated

6) Hand brake travels too far

7) Fuel pipe corroded

8) Oil leak

Recorded milage - 34890 (lol)

Relieved it's passed. i HATE the exhaust so much though. What's worse is they've used the same mounts which means my exhaust pipe keeps banging against something underneath the car. So rattly!

1.) replace it
2-5.) goodridge hoses.
6.) adjust it :p
7.) replace it
8.) stop it leaking :p

See simple, not that bad

Kev

Back